Landing Tutorial For A Gusty Approach

Welcome! Have you ever been frustrated because every time you land in gusty winds, you crash! Well today I am going to feed your aviation brain knowledge so you can be a professional pilot when it comes to a gusty approach!

Step 1: What should my speed be?

Your speed depends on how bad the wind is and the aircraft you are flying. Say you are flying a 737 (-700, -800, -900) and you are landing into a very gusty Chicago O’hare for example. I’m sure most of you already know what the correct landing speeds are for the 737 family. If you do not know, it is 130 knots. But you are facing very strong winds. Lets say the winds are 38 knots with gusts to the southeast at 13 knots. Now that’s quite strong! The equation to find what your landing speed should be shouldn’t depend on a specific mph wind velocity or gust. But in this scenario, you are going to need to increase your landing speed to at least 145 knots. That seems like a ton, but trust me, with these winds, it will feel like a regular 130 knots.

Step 2: Should I fly in a certain direction?

Every good pilot knows you always need to fly into the wind. That’s a requirement. Lets say the winds are in the Northeast now. You obviously need to fly into the Northeast. The runway you need to land on will be different at every airport. It might be 25L at one airport and 16R at another airport. So you are going to need to fly into the runway that is facing the direction of the wind. If no runways at your arrival airport are facing the Northeast, then you will need to divert to a different airport that has a runway facing the direction of the wind.

Step 3: Should I use A/P or APPR for the landing?

Depends on the aircraft in Infinite Flight you are using. If you are in a A321 for example, then using APPR is your best bet. However, make sure you have the exact heading you need (The heading of the runway you are trying to land on). Make sure you have a good altitude first; an altitude that will land you on the 2 white strips on the runway.

Step 4: What should my weight be?

If you don’t want get stuck in the wind as easily, your weight should be light. Eventually, if your weight is too heavy, the winds will beat you and you might loose speed, causing the gravitational force to pull you to the ground, and you will crash.

Step 5: Should I be landing at an airport that is busy?

If you know you will be struck in the holding pattern while trying very hard to fight off the winds, then no. You most likely need to land at an airport that you can land in a decent amount of time. I mean, would you rather land at LAX training server or ISP training server?

Thanks for reading! I hope this helps! If you are still confused, ask questions! No problem with asking questions! I hope this can be somehing you guys remember every time you fly!

Happy Landings!
Ryan

11 Likes

Ryan,

I really appreciate the attempt here but this doesn’t seem to be backed by factual information, specifically in your landing speeds or speed adjustment based on gust (gust factor). Additionally, this suggests to divert rather than how to actually handle a gusty landing. There are many great techniques that could’ve been addressed here but I see no mention.

Thanks for the write up but this will be closed to avoid pilots being misinformed.

Tyler

22 Likes