Landing the Spitfire

I think most can agree that the Spitfire is one of the harder planes to land on Infinite Flight.
I have figured out how to get the plane on the ground gently and safely (no trim or flaps). The problem arises after touchdown. Soon after I am on the runway the plane pulls hard to one side, which in reaction causes me to use the rudder to correct it. Using the rudder brings the plane on one wheel tilting to the side, sometimes with the wing hitting the ground. Once I get the plane corrected I put the brakes on as it is the only form of stopping the aircraft. The plane continues to pull hard to one side, which nearly, and sometimes brings me off the runway. I use the rudder to correct this as much as I can. As I am struggling to keep the plane under control and keep it on two wheels and keep it on the runway, I get two violations for taxiing above 35kts! On the runway!! After this, I think that I might have control of the plane and will be able to come to a full stop on the runway. -Although, who knows, because the plane does not slow down very quickly with just brakes, which might not be able to stop before the runway ends because the brakes aren’t effective enough.- So as I think I have control, after a few seconds of gentle coasting on the runway, the plane’s tail flies into the air and the front of the plane nosedives into the runway, resulting in a crash.

So after reading my (what seems like) long story, do any of you have any suggestions for how to prevent this?

1. How can I prevent the Spitfire from nosediving and crashing while coasting down the runway?
  2. How can I make the Spitfire slow down faster (if there is a way)?
  3. How can I keep the aircraft from pulling hard to one side? (I use rudder)
  4. How can I prevent getting Taxi violations?

Thanks!

4 Likes

Can’t help you with this one, but try the super D and get back to me😂

1 Like

Here’s where I was trying to post 😝 Have you ever tried the super D in a 50 kt. Headwind? You can take off and land like those bush pilots In less than 5 yards of space!

2 Likes

For a no flaps landing you need to go rather fast, so any use of rudder will make the plane go out of the runway.
After landing, avoid using the brakes first and make the tailwhell touch the ground by pulling a bit the elevators to the take off position.
Once the three wheels are on the ground, use the manual brakes (by pulling down on the rudder button) to stop the plane faster.

P.S: Always land with the flaps.

4 Likes

What degree when landing? And is it the same for each aircraft?

Oh wait nevermind. There is only 35 degrees for the spit. Thanks!

Anytime :)

If that helps, one general rule for landing with an airplane equipped with a tail wheel landing gear :

• upon touch down, you should push the stick to try and delay the time when the tail wheel touches the ground - then press the brakes and be patient, if your tail wheel touches the ground at too high a speed, it will be quite difficult to recover
  • for lateral movement, ideally no stick input, just the rudders - using too much stick will lead to the dreaded ground loop
  • once the tail wheel is on the ground, pull the stick to increase pressure on the tail and increase manoeuvrability

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Practice practice practice… You’ll get it before you know it!

3 Likes

Just had a go, not an expert so by no means a ‘correct’ landing, but full flaps, maintained 75knots and kept to glide slope (no wind), lands softly without any issues with rudder- as above, slowly allow back wheel to touch down before any aggressive breaking (have a feeling that tail daggers can flip forwards over the front heavy engine in real world if not right but will be OK in IF :p

Let us know how you get on :)

Max Sez. The Spit is no lady on the ground in any condition. Gentle on the throttle. I use slow increases to 50 % to launch. Your landing problem is speed. This bird lands at 100 K no more no less. Full Flaps. The pull is caused by the natural tendency of a reciprocating engine to pull to the right, so just goose it to taxi, 10- mph is about right. Use the rudder to correct the drift gently. Landing, Set the brake on approach it will act like an autobrake. Release it after your off the step. On landing at 100K chop the throttle over the keys. Let her settle, mains down below stall speed, Pull the stick (Tilt) your pad all the the back ( Stick in your lap) that will keep the nose up and tail down so no ground loop. The IF Spit is a hand full in a cross or quartering wind. I suggest you fly the “D” first then move up to the spit. The “D” is a lady but she has the same characteristics as a no flap Spit, great big wing and no flaps. She’s an aviators airplane. Practice makes perfect, use 29 Palm in SoCal, on the free flight to practice touch & goes. See you 12 O’clock high!

5 Likes

Thanks max - will give it a go the proper way :p

1 Like

Don’t be afraid to put the pedal to the metal on this one. Do some low flybys and touch n goes at high speeds (don’t touch rear wheel and don’t pull back too hard) to get your line up right. Then slow it down a bit, touch down, then pull up to plant the tail wheel when you’re down to 30kts. Keep back pressure on the stick to keep the rear wheel down.

Forget everyone else’s answers, @Maxmustang knows everything.

1 Like

I usually fly the spitfire with no cross wind. Better to start flying in local “solo” mode with wind set to zero.

For take off set flap to zero, trim +5, make sure that you are aligned with the centerline, release brakes, full throttle.
During roll acceleration nose will sink, maintain +5 degrees attitude and wait until airborne, raise gears.

For landing prepare at 500 ft, 1.5 NM out 100 KTS
Set landing gear, flaps down, speed 85-90 KTS, aligned with the centerline.
During flare cut the engine and increase gradually the attitude, the plane will stall at approx 60 KTS. You should have a 10 degrees attitude at that time, so that all 3 wheels will touch down simultaneously. Don’t touch the rudder.
After touch down set brakes and correct the alignment when speed drops below 30 KTS.

Happy landing!

2 Likes

Thanks guys I think I have figured it out!

Here is my attempt at landing a Spitfire, definitely one of the more difficult planes to land.

(sorry for the laggy video, going to play around will the recorder settings)

2 Likes

I sure wish they would put at least a 2D panel with the Spitfire. It would be a lot more realistic to fly.

1 Like

I fly that thing all the time, never land it dirty in high winds. Put 'er down around 110 kts clean as a whistle.

(I think that’s how max would say it 😀)

2 Likes

You did it great!
Nice and clean 3 point landing.
Bravo!

2 Likes