Landing technique at London City Airport (EGLC)

Note: This is different from the existing tutorial of EGLC operation which focuses more on the procedures. This is a flying guide.

London City Airport is famous for its abnormal glide slope angle of 5.5 degrees. The steep angle causes a dramatic increase of descent rate and difficulty to control. After watching some real world operations and having many attempts, I came up with some tips and tricks.
Before Approach-Things To Remember

1. If you’re using IFA or anything that has GPWS callouts, DISABLE THEM. Otherwise the “glide slope” warning will annoy you throughout the approach or even cover up the altitude callouts, make it almost impossible to know when to flare.
  2. Check the wind condition. If the tailwind component is at or above 10kts, consider change to the other end of runway or divert.
  3. Follow TFR. Anything larger than A318 are not allowed, and still not recommended even not in Expert Server, as larger aircraft may risk overshooting the runway.
  4. APPR is not recommended. I tried using APPR and it just cannot intercept the GS properly, maybe because of the unusual angle of descent.

Approach Phase
First, you want to set spoilers to FLIGHT instead of arming them. This helps reduce the negative pitch of the aircraft and betters handling.

Next, you need to trim the aircraft well. For A318, I use 30% trim. This reduces the stress to pull the yoke and is crucial during flare.

Follow the GS until at around 1000ft, where you should see the runway. Aim for the numbers, NOT THE BIG WHITE MARKING. Otherwise you may have a long landing.
You need to turn visual at this point. Glide slope should not be followed from here on.

A little negative pitch is expected, but not too much. Constantly adjust your speed so that you can glide to the aiming point while maintaining 0°~-1° pitch. From this pic you can see that I no longer follow the GS but visually aiming for the touchdown zone.

Flare
Due to the increased descent rate, the flare should start earlier. When hearing the “50” callout, you need to gently pull back the yoke and start your flare. This is different from normal A318 operations where you flare at around 20ft.

Starting flare

Touched down at around -110fpm
Touchdown
Upon touchdown you need to do the following:

1. Reverse thrust to the maximum
  2. Meanwhile, use the rudder to maintain on the centerline
  3. After the front gear touches down, immediately set spoilers to ARMED for better braking efficiency.

Step 1 & 2

Step 3
    Reversers should be idle at around 60kt. Manual braking from this point. You can now choose the nearest exit and vacate the runway.

It’s really hard to fly this approach, so if you want to butter here, it’s important that you practice, practice, practice. You can utilize the “20s ago” feature in Solo mode and try finding the perfect aiming point and flare time.

Hope you find this helpful! Comment below if you have any questions!

37 Likes

This is very informative but I will continue to slam it

4 Likes

Hope for the best to your passengers lol

You shouldn’t use 100% throttle, instead, you should be using 100% N1 (this is to prevent the engine from overheating). Also, spoilers should be armed when on final so that it engages as soon as main landing gears touch down.

I used flight spoilers for better control of aircraft so that it won’t nose-down during final approach.
This is also a real-world procedure:

You can see that flight spoiler is extended throughout the approach.

The maximum thrust is only used in short runways like this. You can still use reduced reverse thrust, however you may need some manual braking to compensate.

2 Likes

The point to not to follow the big white marking is recommended in all UK airports. Since the British airports have a SECOND big marking which you are supposed to land on in real life but IF doesn’t have them, it is best to follow your instruments.

1 Like

Me too honestly

Also, the vacate speed of 60kts is only allowed for taxiways that are at a 45 deg angle to the runway. For 90 deg taxiways, the maximum speed is 10kts.

1 Like

That’s why further manual braking is needed. 😉

1 Like

Plus, you landed way too fast. The normal landing speed for the A318 is 121kts, in contrast to the 129 knots you used.

This is not accurate. There isn’t such as a thing as a ‘normal’ landing speed for an aircraft; there are a countless number of variables in play which determine the landing speed for an aircraft. 129 knots IAS is not unreasonable at all for an Airbus A318 with 30% load.

I know you (and others, not just on this topic) are merely trying to provide criticism for this tutorial, which is nice to see, but no tutorial is going to be perfect and some interpretation of the text is needed (this is true for any literature you read). FlightGT has clearly put a lot of effort into this tutorial to help others, and I’m sure FlightGT appreciates constructive criticism, but let’s avoid ‘point scoring’ by nitpicking inaccuracies in some areas of the tutorial. From what I read, the tutorial is accurate and is acceptable to be used in Infinite Flight. If there’s some issue with the tutorial, the best point of action is to simply PM the user and point out what might be an issue. This also has a benefit to you because if you (accidentally, even with good intentions) provide inaccurate information, it can be solved in a PM.

I hope you won’t see this reply as me targeting you - this is not my intention whatsoever. I just think we all could improve by doing things slightly differently, so this is just me pointing out one aspect where we can all benefit as a community; this is not me bashing you at all :)

Great tutorial, FlightGT, thanks for your contribution!

4 Likes

Why not thank them for taking the time to make this, instead of criticizing them? This community needs positivity.

Very good tutorial, I will definitely be using this when I fly into LCY!

2 Likes

This is really useful thread but nothing will stop the slams there, not even IRL

3 Likes

Wait I thought you were supposed to tilt down 5 degrees in LCY?

You don’t “tilt down” five degrees. The glideslope angle is five degrees - the gradient between the runway and the glide path.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. True. Sorry, I was being dumb lol

That is very smooth. Really surprises me!! nice tutorial btw!!

1 Like

What “second big marking” do you mean?

No its the same big marking, but there is 2 markings just before it instead of one and from what I know, thats only in the UK (I might be wrong)

This is what they mean: