Landing Question

Hi pilots!.

I have a question about landing procedures.

When I’m landing , I follow an Arrival procedure and then an Approach.

But for example in LEMD, when I came from the north, there is a procedure via VOR SIE (Somosierra) that is into the Approach procedure instead of the Arrival.

If is better and it follows an arrival pattern can I choose directly an Approach procedure?

I think that planes flying from north, at real life, land via VOR SIE avoiding to do some turns.

Regards.

Pelayo

In game, depending on traffic, the ATIS will announce if Arrival and departure procedures are required or recommended. Personally, I would always rather having an arrival procedure because that way I know I’m getting myself in the “pattern” with other pilots.

Having an arrival procedure will also make the radar controller and tower controller, if applicable, happier because then at least you will be worked in the same pattern with other pilots.

As for approach procedures, they can be helpful when we check your information to just give you an approach based on what you entered instead of having you request one.

At the end of the day, I would much rather someone have an arrival procedure over an approach procedure.

Hope this helps!

6 Likes

Thank you very much @Drummer !!!

Pelayo

Which runway do you mean (or rather which procedure)?

Edit: I checked and SIE is an IAF for the ILS for the RWYs 18L/R, but isn’t connected to any active STAR. It might be a point where you end up after a missed approach or after a direct, but with today‘s RNAV equipment you would fly a STAR and use one of the other transitions for the ILS (or get radar vectors). If you have any further questions, especially regarding an exact procedure please feel free to ask!

1 Like

Hi @JulianB

Thanks a lot for your answer. So if I am not wrong. All IAF must have a previous STAR.

It can be an embarrasing question but, what is a direct?. Is it landing without a STAR? Just IAF.

Unfortunately, LEMD is not frequently used by ATC so I can´t ask vectors to approach or land. I´m looking for some planes that comes from the north like EGLL, that lands via SIE. Also playing IF, I want to put all realism in it.

Regards and tkank you all

Pelayo.

1 Like

Not necessarily, no. Most have though, that’s true. In Germany you mainly use RNAV transitions to an IAF directly on the localiser instead of STARs, which would be another option.

Not at all embarrassing. A direct is a clearance (Example: ”Cleared direct VEBIT“, with VEBIT being a waypoint name). So it’s a clearance to turn direct to a certain point (VOR/NDB/Waypoint). It isn’t implemented in IF though in the Moment.

If they approach vie SIE in real life than that’s most likely via vectors as I can’t find a STAR leading to it. If you want to fly via SIE, I would check if they initially fly a STAR or not if you want to fly the same route, and proceed from a point on the STAR direct to SIE if you want.

For Spanish charts I will link you the official source below:

https://ais.enaire.es/AIP/AIPS/AMDT_329_2020_AIRAC_06_2020/AIP.html

1 Like

You don’t ever need to program in the approach. I usually actually don’t program it in unless my plane doesn’t have APPR so I need VNAV to fly ILS.

1 Like

Thank you a lot @JulianB !!

Very appreciated your answers!!

I will follow your indications!

Pelayo

1 Like

Hi @xsrvmy! I use LNAV instead of APPR and when I did my last turn, I disengage AP to land manually.

Pelayo.

No problem at all, glad I could help! If you have any further questions feel free to send me a PM and I will be glad to help.

Just one sentence on how I do it:
I personally in Spain use the STARs, and then fly the ILS via the IAF or via vectors I give myself.

1 Like

Copied @JulianB ! I do it in all airports but I checked in LEMD and it made me think.

Regards.

Pelayo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.