Landing lights and descend

When do you turn ldg lights on and descend? Sometimes I had to make 360 to descend to present altitude even though I calculated the time.

Once you are below 10 thousand feet AGL you should turn your landing lights on.

4 Likes

Landing lights on below 10k AGL.

Descend is more of a preference. Given that you have to do a 360 descend 10-15 nm earlier than the
planned TOD.

2 Likes

Descent really varies on altitude of airport, and your altitude/aircraft.

There is a wonderful way to calculate your descent that I found a while ago.

Take your arrival airport’s altitude and add 3000 to it. Subtract that number from your cruising altitude. Take that third number and divide by the V/S that you descend at.

You will have to level off at 10,000 or something for a minute or so, but it’s 100% fine and in fact, realistic to do so.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

@Wiggygodsky will be able to explain this better than I…

Here’s his helpful post on this:

2 Likes

Check out my topic listed by @Captain_Merka in regards to descents. For when to turn on your landing lights, check out AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual) 4-3-23.This is a book full of great material to help you in your flying. According to the AIM you would keep your landing lights on any time below 10,000 MSL. Turn them on (along with strobes) when entering an active runway. You’d leave them on up to 10,000 MSL. Then, on descent you’d turn them back on when passing below 10,000 MSL and would turn them off when exiting the runway after landing. If you’re in a Cessna you could turn them off at cruise and then back on when you begin your approach. You could also just leave them on if you’re not going above 10,000 MSL. Depending on the plane the manufacturer will list a suggested operation of the lights and then you’d follow that.

Hope this helps!

Descend about 160NM away at -1800 FPM

1 Like

There are lots of advanced ways of calculating when to descend but I find that the good old dividing the altitude that you need to descend by your v/s speed works fine for me
E.G 36000/1800

1 Like

Landing Lights below 10,000 is an FAA thing, there is no ICAO requirement to have landing lights on below 10K, I believe also it’s “encouraged” by the FAA rather than a legal requirement, but an FAA Chap can correct me on that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.