Landing in the B738...

When you guys land in the 737-800, what flaps do you use? Ive seen people land on 30 and 40 so I want to understand why and which is the best to land with.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the wind conditions, and the how heavy the plane is. I usually land with full flap configuration.

30 or 40 are the recommended flap settings for landing a 737-800. 30 may be more typical, and for autoland 40 is preferred as you reduce the nose up angle and have better forward visibility.

1 Like

okay I understand that. Now what do the winds have to be for you to choose one over the other?

I always use the flaps in 40, but sometimes in 30.

1 Like

I asked some pople about that, like what aviationluver said heaviness, speed, winds, weather etc. all factor in, usually when Im on a 2nm final i put the flaps at full, like what WN pilots do, and excuse my horrid spelling lol

1 Like

ill try that

2nm out is quite late. Normally you should be fully configured by 4nm. There are expections to that, for example in a non-precision approach you should be configured by the final approach point (around 7-10nm out) and for a low drag approach you can configure quite late as long as you are done by around 700ft.

1 Like

The more wind, the less flaps. If the wind is under 10kts I usually use flap 40. If its over that, I usually use flap 20-30. If the wind is over 10kts and gusting, the maximum flaps I use are 15 (20 at the most). I hope this helps you :)

2 Likes

Flaps 15 is definitely not a recommended configuration for landing on a 737-800, and only supposed to be used if there is a equipment problem - for example the QRH advises using flaps 15 when you have a single engine failure.

3 Likes

do you take wind direction into account?

huh I didn’t know that. I don’t fly the b737 that often anyway. I prefer the a320

Yeah. If I am landing on a green runway I usually use more flaps than if I am landing on a yellow runway.

I never use flap 40 I do not know remember when last time I seeing a 40 flap landing I all way use flap 30

I personally find 40 too much lol the max I’ll go with is 30 though I am okay with 20 too

Correct you get complimenting

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.