Landing Help Needed

Hi, I’ve been having trouble staying centerlined while landing. Whenever I land, my plane drifts off onto the side of the runway (while still going in a straight motion) and no matter how much rudder power or yoke power I use to turn back onto the runway, it never turns which almost causes me to get speeding violations. How can I stop this issue? It has jeopardized many landings especially long hauls.

What aircraft, also what landing speed?

1 Like

A380-800, landing speed was around 165-170 knots.

1 Like

you might want to slow down your speed a bit more

1 Like

140 knots should be your landing speed really, your speed is why you are likely going off the runway.

1 Like

Okay, thank you!

1 Like

Use 50% trim. Check winds at destination airport right before landing (around 15 nm away). If wind is less than 10 kts, use full flaps for slowest landing speed. If wind is more than 10 knots then use flaps one level up from full.

Make sure your aircraft is configured for landing and you final approach is nice and stable, and that little circle on your hud (vector) is headed straight for the runway regardless of where your aircraft nose is pointing. From here, follow the glideslope down with minimal adjustments only - no major swerves or corrections. Use a combination of engine power and pitch to stay on the glideslope - dont let it run away from you

Now the most crucial thing: as soon as you cross the Runway threshold, slowly use your rudder to align aircraft nose with vector so they are both pointed straight down the runway. Then flare for landing and HOLD. Once your main landing gear touches the runway, HOLD, dont let the aircraft nose wheel slam to the ground. This is the point where you need to adjust rudder to align to centerline (or to stay on it); and then slowly bring the nose wheel down and proceed to slow down.

If you let the nose slam immediately - you will likely lose control over the rudder and your plane will speed in the direction your plane’s nose is pointed - probably off the runway.

Lastly, be patient and practice this A LOT. It is frustrating; but it will come. I used to face this same problem before. Landing in Sydney or Auckland used to be a nightmare for me because of the frequent crosswinds. But now it happens much less because I practiced what I described above very diligently. You will really have those super satisfying crosswind landing experiences once you get a hang of it.

4 Likes

Thank you so much, I will definitely be looking back on this! A very detailed and elaborate response.

Also all these steps remain the same for any aircraft; except the trim settings. I use 50% for the heavies and supers, 30% for the regular aircraft and 20% for the smaller ones. Those settings work for me. You will need to figure out what works for you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.