Landing gear

Hello everyone, I would like to know if there are pilots or people who know when planes lower their landing gear (real aviation of course)

Jess

2 Likes

yes… of course

There is an indicator in the cockpit.

Might want to change this to Real World Aviation

2 Likes

Airlines typically lower their landing gear at 5-6 miles from the runway

2 Likes

Thank you bro

1 Like

The high school I went to was almost exactly where the ILS cone begins, 10 miles from the runway. I would usually see them drop the gear at 10 miles or slightly after.

3 Likes

Full landing configuration at the start of the cone? Interesting

4 Likes

Okay thanks!

Yes I’m interested!

Hello,

This question may vary dependent on the aircraft being conducted. Typically, the landing gear is deposited when full configuration is set. Generally, full flaps and other equipment set.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Most airliners: 4-6NM

2 Likes

Usually the heavies. The narrowbodies usually did it about a mile or two later. I can still see the 13R approach path from my house and they already have the gear down most of the time.

2 Likes

Be careful, for ex, Ryanair are dropping the gear at really final, for saving kerosene

2 Likes

It depends on the aircraft type and operator. Typically, the smaller the aircraft, the closer to the runway. Some do it approaching 4 miles, many do it at 5 miles, some at 6 miles.

2 Likes

Depending on the specific aircraft’s procedures, we’ll announce ‘Gear Down, 3 Green’ as we prepare to extend the landing gear. The decision to lower the gear typically occurs on a 7-mile final approach, though this may vary depending on the airline’s policy.

Ignore the ugly Tupolev teal:

2 Likes

IRL speaking, 6.5nm from the end of the runway for me. By the time the gear extends, I’m about 5.5 to 5nm out from the runway. By now, 3 green, I call for flaps 30 and before landing checklist. When all is said and done, I’m on a 3nm final and wishing 20kts of VREF APP.

Timing is key but it also depends on other factors such as altitude and distance from the airport. Sometimes ATC leaves us high and we need to get down and slow down. Jets can’t do both. You can only slow down OR come down. Never both at the same time. So we’ll often throw the gear 20nm+ out if we’re still 10,000ft high or something crazy like that.

TLDR, aim for 5-7nm.

7 Likes

In real-life, my dad has never had to drop landing gear 20nm+ out…

1 Like

it depends on aircraft, weight, elevation, and aircraft, so no base answer

however try to extend between 3-7.5 miles out

2 Likes

so 19nm out… ✨perfect✨

2 Likes

I don’t fly a commercial airliner but for me, gear comes down for different scenarios

1. On an instrument approach, .5 miles from FAF or 1 dot below GS, gear down
  2. If circling on an instrument approach, on downwind when in a suitable place to land
  3. VFR, abeam departure end on runway
3 Likes

It’s because he doesn’t fly a Challenger 350 and get direct the field like we do. Different operations to consider. 😊

1 Like