Landing gear

Hi. I was wondering how many NM from Destination should I lower landing gears.
And landing speed of
777-200
787-8
737-800
Thanks

4 Likes

Usually I will deploy my landing gears 7nm from the airport

7 Likes

Great thanks 👍🏼

Landing speeds vary, but for your mentioned aircraft, usually between 135-145 IAS.

3 Likes

I usually deploy the landing gear 5nm in small planes, and for heavy 7nm.

Use this guide to check the landing speeds:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info 👍🏼

1 Like

At around 7.5 Dme Gear and flaps 15 for the 737-800.

2 Likes

I extend the gear at 6NM away from the runway

My landing speeds.
787 and 777- 145 Knots
737- 134 Knots

1 Like

Most airlines lower the gear at 5NM. Some in VMC lower at 4NM, in IMC 5-6NM. For the speed, as others have mentioned, it varies.

In larger aircraft is 7nm and in medium and small aircraft it is 5nm

Jokes aside, 5-7nms like others have said above is a good distance to deploy landing gear.

30 Likes

Adding on what has been said it’s somewhat up to the crew to decide when to deploy the gear. It is increasing fuel burn and noise hence you try to lower it at a relatively late point, but sometimes it makes sense to deploy it earlier for speed reduction reasons.

Also keep in mind that the gear of long-haul planes take s longer to lower (at least IRL).

1 Like

I personally do not use the landing gear but it depends on which airport I land at.

Yea yea, I usually put it about 4 nm from the airport

3 Likes

I usually lower them as soon as my aircraft enters the red ILS cone

Is that 5-7 NM from the runway?

here is a approach speed calculator but it is not on all aircraft in IF sadly, check the topic above.

1 Like

What they all said but typicall irl landing gear comes down when your about 1800 above the ground

1 Like

I usually lower the gear when I am on the glide slope

I think it was 12 when the range circles of the ATC Radar were a thing

Depends on plane for say the TBM 3nm maybe but larger jets like a 737 or a350 5-8 nm

Hello, Jamie!

As you can see above there are a lot of different answers and they’re all acceptable. If you understand it’s benefits and the Stable Approach Criteria (SAC) I think you’ll find that you can’t go wrong with whichever personal preference you decide to use.

Stable Approach Criteria

Your aircraft should be fully configured for landing with gear down, landing flaps, on approach speed, and a with stable descent no later than…

1,000ft AAL or 3NM

Ensuring you’re fully configured for landing with landing flaps, gear down, and stable prior to one of the above checkpoints is ideal. A stable approach also means that your descent rate at that point is not exceeding 1,000fpm. (Obvious exceptions at airports with complex procedures)

Lastly, the gear can be one of your biggest sources of drag. You might find it helps you slow down or get down faster by extending it early. On the contrary, you may wait to extend it when fighting a strong headwind to keep the speed over the ground (GS) higher until the last few miles.

This general approach to landing in an airliner will keep you safe every time:

• Within 15 miles of the airport: No greater than 200kts
  • Gear down no later than 5nm final
  • Final approach speed/stable approach no later than 3nm final
9 Likes