Landing Gear Lock/Off

One thing that is in real life is after takeoff, the landing gear is put into an “off” position. Currently in Infinite Flight, there is just gear up and gear down but I have an idea in how to implement this. I took xplane as an example to show what I am talking about

As you can see, the gear lever is placed in the center showing that it is off.

How would this look in Infinite Flight?

Similar to the flaps or the spoilers, there would be a drag down menu on the gear to where it would show gear up, gear down, and gear off. Here is a picture of it, credit to @Henry

I think this would make flights a little more realistic, especially with more live cockpits coming.

Let me know what you think and vote if you like the idea!

Is this what you are talking about?

No, that has to do with just showing how long the gear is retracting or extending. I am talking about for the middle of a flight you would put the gear to the off position

1 Like

I think this is a cool idea! But I’m out of votes, sorry

1 Like

It isnt about showing how long the gear is transiting in my request. It is about preventing an accidental tap putting the gear into the down position. Just to clear up the confusion

1 Like

Oh ok, my bad

I think that the idea is good, and it improves realism. But I don’t see it being added to IF to be honest. It’s not a revolutionary feature and It’s not nearly as big as their other projects such as Metal. They also have terminals in development and so I think they have their priorities set.

2 Likes

I see your point, however I don’t think it would be too hard to implement but I guess we’ll see. Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

No problem man, keep generating ideas and Im sure youll have a good one!

2 Likes

I’m clearing a vote. That’s just it! This deserves a vote. Let’s get it.

I think it’s mostly just on the 737 though. That’s the only one I’ve seen it on. Correct me if I’m wrong. Still would be cool to see!

1 Like

I believe the 717, 757, and 767 have it too, it’s an older system (the 737 MAX doesn’t have it), newer aircraft have gear that automatically locks into place once retracted. The reason older aircraft have the “off” position is because they don’t have that automatic locking system, so while the lever is in the “up” position, the gear is being held by constant hydraulic pressure, leading to both premature wear as well as a higher possibility of failure. The off position activates the gear locks and relieves hydraulic pressure, so the gear is quite literally just resting on little hooks in the wheel well.

2 Likes

I’d imagine it being like this don’t judge on how bad this is

5 Likes

Yes that is exactly what I mean. Do you mind if I use that instead of my drawing?

1 Like

Go ahead, give me credits if u want

1 Like

What is the point of the off position? :)

1 Like

This is the reason :) @Aviation3

2 Likes

Thank you all for the votes :)