Landing gear drag

On some aircraft the drop in speed when the landing gear is lowered seems far too excessive. I know it creates a little extra drag but on certain planes (Cessna Citation, B737 and ERJ 190 seeming to be the worst offenders) airspeed absolutely plummets when the wheels drop.
Doesn’t happen on A330 or other larger jets, they seem a lot more stable. Is this deliberate or a bug ?

it could be the weight of your plane

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

The only aircrafts with landing gear drag in IF are the 737s, the C750, the Embraers and the 777s.

2 Likes

Can you explain further @Rotate ? I always have the weight set to comfortably within MLW limits, and all the aircraft I described above have fully retractable landing gear. It just seems on certain ones the effect on airspeed of lowering the gear seems so much more drastic than on others.
I’m wondering if this is deliberate by the devs to reflect real life or a bug that should be fixed ? Try it in the Citation X and see, approach around 130 - 140kts IAS then lower the gear (but be ready to blast the throttle to around 60% to avoid a stall !)

i land at 150-160 for a smooth landing

Too fast (for every aircraft).

1 Like

[quote=“Simon_H, post:1, topic:11410”]
Cessna Citation, B737 and ERJ 190 seeming to be the worst offenders
[/quote] These are the aircraft that have gear drag added at this point. Nothing to do with MLW as far as I know. That’s why they feel like ‘The worst offenders’ as pretty much explained by @Laurens.

i would land slower if infinite flight had gear tilt

What would gear tilt do for you?

1 Like

i would land with the wheel that is closest to the ground first follwed by the next wheels to make a smooth landing

Wouldn’t change anything.
The landing gear tilt would make landings look smoother, while the drag requires more thrust than speed.
I land the Citation with about 120 kts.

Isn’t this smooth? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwbRdCVjyI

1 Like

Gear is the biggest drag force on any airplane the others in IF are not tuned properly to reflect this accordingly.

So do I only big planes like the 777 I land at 160

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Initially the lowering of the gear creates more drag because the gear doors are opened as well as the gear coming down. In the 135 you would bump the throttles up approximately a knob width to compensate. Also there were different restrictions for airspeed (275kts for gear in transit and 325kts for gear lowered (if I’m remembering correctly)) because of the doors. Now I don’t know if all of those effects are programmed into the sim or not. But gear definitely is a big drag producer.

@Rotate was referring to aircraft like your C172 who’s gear is always in the lowered position (fixed) and so they make those as aerodynamic as possible for fuel savings etc.

Gear is a great way to slow yourself down if approach wants you to keep your speed up until you’re on final. In the 135 (and I would guess other planes too) you weren’t allowed to use the speed brakes while the flaps were lowered. So you would put out the speed brakes to get your IAS down below the gear lowering limit and then drop the gear. Put the brakes back in and start lowering flaps at their correct speeds (325kts-the flap setting (if I’m remembering correctly)).