Landing Clearance Confusion

I’m confused in IF Live about the proper way to be cleared to land. A few times I have announced my position, ie right downwind - I get a roger in reply, announce I’m on final, get another roger, and land fine. But I never got a clearance.

• Is “Roger” considered a clearance after announcing you’re on final?
  • Should you also call inbound in addition to announcing position?
  • Similar related question - If I announce inbound sometimes I get a “Enter right downwind runway xxx”. Is that considered a clearance?
3 Likes
  1. Roger is not considered a clearance
  2. You should really never be announcing position.
  3. No. when you call inbound a controller will give you a pattern entry and sequencing. The controller should clear you sometime after that.
7 Likes

Firstly welcome to the Community , I see you are new around town !

1. No, you are just alerting the controller you are on final if you have yet to get landing clearance.

2. If you have stated you are flying in the pattern when departing then no need to request landing clearance, just keep stating your position until you get landing clearance. When entering the controlled tower airspace always request landing clearance or T&G depending what you are doing. After you have been given landing clearance no need to report your position.

3. No , you have just been told what pattern to enter and what aircraft to follow in the pattern.

3 Likes

Laura is really the only dev who flies on live. She is almost if not always flying on expert

1 Like

Mostly TS and ES, never seen a Dev on the Casual server.

1 Like

Actually you can see them in Casual during FNF or Turbulent Tuesday 😉

If you tried to land in TS, This issue may happen as they are still under training (Sometimes people only say roger, No Clearance). But even if you haven’t got a clearance, Try to contact/remind them by using Call Inbound so they can give you a clearance to land 😊

2 Likes

I’m talking from previous experience ;)

2 Likes

I’m still learning myself, but I’m confident I can help:

Proper communication with ATC, specifically tower, would start when you are close to the airport pattern (right/left downwind, on the ILS, transition, etc.). ATC should be reaching out to by then, but if not, simply report your intentions for landing.
(Reporting your position really only needs to be done on Unicom and that will just clutter the frequency and irritate the controller.)

Enter right/left downwind is pattern instructions. I would suggest heading over to tutorials and check out Tyler’s YouTube video on patterns and the rest of the ATC tutorials there to really get the best idea of what a controller is asking you to do.

Roger isn’t a clearance to land, rather an acknowledgement from ATC that they see you on their radar.

Just remember that there are a lot of ATC trainees on TS1, learning just like the rest of us! I commend you for coming to the forums to ask for proper protocols!

3 Likes

Have fun reading this. This was my refer to document, whenever I heard a new aviation acronym or terminology. It comes straight from FAA.gov, how bad can that be?

2 Likes

I can’t understand why if already someone give a correct answer like @Dhops did,why you all continue to give the same answers?

5 Likes

Hahaha just to make sure to him lol

3 Likes

It’s not to difficult to understand when you look at the time stamps of the OP and replies (all came in within a couple minutes of the question being asked). It isn’t rocket science lol.

2 Likes

Take me for example , i was the third reply. I spent time creating my post and did not see @Dhops had already posted. It is not like i came on and saw the first post and thought i would spend 10 mins basically saying the same thing … :)

1 Like

Same with me. I thought your post was a little more insightful as well. There were no replies when I started typing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.