Landing brakes

Could really use some help on a simple question.

Prior to landing should I have my landing gear brakes on?

Also does this differ depending on aircraft?

I can’t imagine it should be on as this may reduce the life span of the brakes and tyres.

It does seem plausible however for them to possibly be on in say a Cessna.

Thanks guys

Hi,
I think you should not put your gear breakes down. But I’m not sure…

1 Like

You could put them on before landing, I mean, it’s one less thing to do, but I wait until about 80 knots, and no, it doesn’t differ from plane to plane, they’ll all brake with the same force ;)

5 Likes

I don’t land with them on. I wait till I hit 60knots and then stop reversers and out brakes on. In a Cessna don’t land with them on still

5 Likes

Since we don’t have tire and brake wear-and-tear implemented, it’s perfectly fine to use the brake button.

Personally, I simply use the rudder (drag the rudder slider down) in order to brake because it’s easier to control the braking and it feels more realistic, in my opinion. When it comes to a Cessna or a smaller prop, as you mentioned, I like to use the brake button once I land.

1 Like

I’m not a pilot but I think others will agree that brakes shouldn’t be applied until 60kts ground speed. This means when landing a jet airliner, the brakes should definitely not be on at touchdown. I agree that it’s more plausible in a 172, I used to do this because I found it helped prevent bouncing on touchdown. I think it’s better, though, to be safely on the ground before braking, bouncing issues were solved by making sure I quickly push back the yoke on touchdown- while you’re pulling up to flare and ease onto the runway, as long as you push back immediately you shouldn’t need to brake until the plane is stable on its wheels.

4 Likes

If you want to do super soft landings, you have to turn the brakes, spoilers and reverse after all wheels touch the ground.
In normal landings, I turn them on mid-air as I want to loose as much as speed as possible.

If you land an aircraft using APPR it does automatically apply the brakes for you once you hit the ground. If you’re landing on a short runway it will help but for a long runway there’s no need to apply the brakes at touchdown speed.

Generally I land with the brakes off, once landed deploy reverses, at 100kts put the brakes on, at 60kts stow reverses.

1 Like

In real life they have auto brakes which deploy as soon as you touchdown. You can see this when you use APPR as well where it activates brakes by itself immediately after touchdown.

As for reverses, they are stowed at I believe 80 knots in real life because any slower than that would cause engine stalls or cause the engine to pick up debris.

So yeah, don’t use brakes before landing, that’s not realistic, apply them as soon as you touch down.

As for brakes from the rudder slider, these simulate the breaks which are applied when the pilot presses the top part of the rudder pedals to disengage auto brakes and allow for manual and differential breaking which you can also use when you drag down the rudder slider for rudder pedal breaks and left/right for differential braking during the final moments of landing roll.

What do you mean? Like instead of dragging it left to right you drag it down?

3 Likes

Well they aren’t landing brakes, They are parking brakes. Thats why they slow you down so quickly cause they are meant for parking. The reason you don’t use them in real life is they make all your tires blow up. I suggest for realism don’t use the brakes upon landing instantly. Touch down with spoilers and flaps full and then reverse thrust. Release reverse thrust and 70 knots and slow down to 60 and put the brakes on until a ground speed of 35 knots. Then let friction slow you down. In real life however they don’t apply any brakes till on the ground. Don’t know when as I am not a pilot yet.

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. Try it out sometime.

1 Like

I’m a pilot, and brakes are NEVER applied before landing. More than one tire has been blown on landing because pilots were playing ‘bombardier’ with the brakes in the air. Brakes are applied after both mains and nose are on firmly on the ground. At what speed after landing all depends on the conditions, runway length, pilot technique, etc. That being said, it’s perfectly fine to have brakes set on landing in Infinite Flight (going into a super short runway for example).

3 Likes

I don’t use the brakes until the nose gear touches the ground. If you have the brakes already engaged you risk slamming the nose into the ground.

I used the brakes the minute my nose touches down, is that safe?

You took the words right outta my mouth 😂. Last time a checked, the rudder controls move horizontallly. Are there hidden controls that I haven’t known about? Additionally, are there “landing brakes” added to the APPR? 🤔

If you drag down on the rudders it applies breaks.

That’s awesome! Thanks!

1 Like

In my thinking, we only put the reverse thrust and spoilers on. As long as I’m concerned, try not to put landing brakes on which that reduces too much speed. Real life, reducing too much speed might result in a person to be leaned and crushed at the seat above and that feels uncomfortable. At least in my flight, I do not use landing brakes. Doing reverse thrust is reducing normal amount of speed. Brakes are more useful during taxi time. For example, a plane is coming in a different direction, and you press the brakes to stop immediately.