[LANDED] Short Runways, Tight Turns @ SBRJ - 010400ZMAY20

• Aircraft and Livery: LATAM A320 or TAM A319

• Route: SBSP - SBJR

• Time of Departure: 0400Z

• Server: Expert

For my first attempt at a group flight, I figured I’d include anyone that wanted to join on a trip I’ve been really enjoying lately. Both SBSP (CGH) and SBRJ (SDU) in Brazil have short runway and are known for being relatively challenging. SDU, specifically, has one of the coolest approaches out there, flying over mountains and making a tight 180 degree turn that ends just 300 feet from the ground and on the runway centerline if executed correctly. There is another option, with a visual approach that can be taken instead. All of its approach options are exciting, as are the landing and takeoff rollouts at each airport due to the (lack of) runway length.

Tentative flightplan (subject to change due to airport wind conditions):

For the 180 degree turn:
SBSP SP001 MOSRA OGVEN IMBID PUKRA DORLU VUREP NM270 TODOP UGRAD GELUT RJ931 RJ031 RJ032 RJ801 RJ802 RJ803 RJ804 SBRJ

For the visual:
SBSP SP001 MOSRA OGVEN IMBID PUKRA DORLU VUREP NM270 TODOP UGRAD GELUT RJ931 RJ031 RJ032 RJ034 SBRJ

Chart screenshots can be provided if anyone joins and wants to get the approaches as correctly as possible. I can talk people through what everything on the chart means if need be as well.

Sorry about the abundance of information. Hopefully it is digestible and people still feel the desire to join

1 Like

Seems fun, I’ll join! ;)

1 Like

Wow what a surprise ;)

Thanks man

1 Like

I’ll drop in if I can ;)

1 Like

Awesome thanks!

i think i already did this today so no thanks!

Wow how very rude of you :)

1 Like

ok because u asked so nicely

Thank you thank you. You’re an absolute dear.

1 Like

I wish I could join, but it’s at Midnight for me! Sorry!

1 Like

All good. The flight is less than an hour but I understand lol

1 Like

This approach is challenging. If you ignore the ILS cone and follow the local charts (https://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/?i=aerodromos&codigo=SBRJ, you will see the challenge. It is worth trying with appropriate aircraft.

Yes I know, that is the entire point of the flight. It is a fun approach.

2 Likes

Ooo I’ll try to join!

1 Like

Yay thanks!

I just realized at at 9pm 😂. Anyways I’m excited because I love hard approaches. My favorite so far is 27 into Telluride because of the hard turn

1 Like

For those joining, here are the approach options:

This is the 180 degree turn. No visual portion, all references are fixes. No ILS to follow on this runway either.

Here is the visual approach. Leads off of an RNAV (more or less a fix reference approach) Slightly different with less sharp of a turn:

And a closeup of roughly what that turn should look like

Okay guys, let’s do it

1 Like

i think i’ll pass thanks for the offer :D

1 Like

Finished. Was a fun time doing (well, trying) the approach. Thanks to all who came!

1 Like