LaMia Bolivia Flight 2933 Crashes in Colombia

An Avro RJ85 belonging to LaMia Bolivia Airlines, operating Flight 2933, was carrying 68 passengers and nine crew members when it was involved in an accident in Colombia. The aircraft was traveling from Viru Viru International Airport in Santa Cruz to José María Córdoba International Airport just outside of Medellin. The aircraft was nearing its destination when officials say the pilots declared an emergency and mentioned having “electrical issues.” The aircraft collided with the ground shortly after the emergency transmission and broke into two main pieces. The aircraft came to rest just five minutes flight time from its destination. It is sad to report that 71 people lost their lives in this accident, only six people survived. It is being reported that the aircraft ran out of fuel before it could reach its final destination. Members of Chapecoense, a Brazilian soccer team, were on board the aircraft.

More details to come.

UPDATE: It appears the aircraft ran out of fuel before it could reach Medellin, its final destination.

CP-2933, the aircraft involved in the accident
Photo Credit: airport-data.com

An image of the fuselage shortly after the crash.
Photo Credit: Andres Felipe Arcos

Rescue workers scour the remains of Flight 2933.
Photo Credit: Metro

Sources: CNN, The Telegraph, 360 Colombia Radio, and The Aviation Herald.

29 Likes

I’m glad it seems everyone is okay and no deaths reported so far …

Update on my post above , it seems only 6 people have survived … :(

5 Likes

Officials have confirmed the aircraft was an Avro RJ85 (Registration CP-2933) operating as LAMIA Bolivia Flight 2933. At least six passengers have survived the crash.

1 Like

There has been 6-10 survivors

1 Like

“Electrical issues” were reported before the aircraft crashed.

1 Like

Extremely sad and upsetting, all thoughts are with the passengers and their families :(

10 Likes

Terrible, I just heard of this. There was a Brazilian football team onboard.

2 Likes

Maybe the RJ/BaE is getting old now.
(For western airliners)

3 Likes

There was possible deaths involved here. Please can everyone bear this in mind in their responses. Thank you.

8 Likes

Just because it’s old doesn’t mean it is a matter of time until an accident happens, with good maintenance it shouldn’t be an issue to operate a plane delivered in 1999, there are much older A320s e.g. in Lufthansa’s fleet

3 Likes

Thats the tracking of Flightradar right?

Very sad. I hope the 5 people that survive can help investigators to find out why the other 76 died 😞

Everyone please do take care of what you say. This was a tragic crash much worse than originally thought.

4 Likes

I certainly don’t think ‘yay’ when I see a crash…

15 Likes

I feel terribly sorry for the families and friends of the soccer players.

6 Likes

6th survivor found.

4 Likes

This is such a huge tragedy. :(
I hope the cause will be found so this will never ever happen again.
My thoughts go out the everyone involved.

5 Likes

The football team, Chapecoense was on board and was heading to play to final of Copa Sudamerika (Similar to Europa League) against Athletico Nacional. Atletico Nacional has requested that the trophy will be rewarded to Chapeconese.

Rip.

5 Likes

Prayers go out to all involved. This is so tragic and unreal. Happy Landings to the rest of us.

1 Like

What a honourable and respectful choice by the National team !

1 Like