Korean Air is Phasing Out Their A380’s

Singapore Airlines recently retired 5 A380’s, Malaysian is planning to retire theirs, and now its Korean Air’s turn. Their “Big Blue Whales” haven’t been filling up, even on their Key Routes. They are stuggling to get even 50% pax on them. They will retire the first one sometime in 2018. It is not said about the other ones, but they are speculating on buying A350’s.
EDIT: Korean does not plan to retire A380’s 😁

19 Likes

Wow. The A380 is almost 13 years old and it’s being removed by multiple airlines. Although I’m not a big fan of Airbus, I feel sorry for them.

12 Likes

I always thought that even though the A380 was big and a sight to see and fun to fly on it isn’t efficient, easy to fill, can’t fit into most airports, and isn’t profitable anymore.

10 Likes

I’ve flown on the korean air a380’s four times, and MY ARE THEY UGLY! I love their 748’s way more, and this is coming from an airbus guy. I could possibly fly on KE’s A388’s again this july. Not sure.

3 Likes

A380 is magnificent, we can’t leave it so early!

8 Likes

Looks like the 747s and A380s are being retired slowly…

6 Likes

I think the next one to retire their A380’s will be THAI Airways…
I don’t know why but i’m really sure they will!

6 Likes

Wow, this is crazy! So many whales soon to be getting beached at Victorville😶

8 Likes

Interesting post. I think that with the development of the 787/777x and a350 the A380 will phase out completely. It cannot be too practical or cost effective

6 Likes

Yes but the 747 has been around since the 70’s

But wow, this is amazing news. Grats to Korean, maybe time for Qantas to retire them and look into 777-8’s.

9 Likes

Oh … Well… that sucks.

2 Likes

Actually, she’s going to a storage facility in New Mexico (I think) until there’s a buyer.

1 Like

Good riddance. The A380’s aren’t filling up with the peoples, and they are way less efficient than twin-engine jets. Great to see them going with something smaller and more efficient. I’m a Boeing guy so I’d love it if they boing some new 787’s.

3 Likes

You think they are retiring their fleet to save up money for nuclear missles? North Korea sure seems to strive in their 1 star Air Koryo lol, Im serious… North Korea uses old Russian aircrafts and South Korea uses modern Airbus. Sooner or later , one side is going to fall into a economic crisis for bombing each other. I sure hope the Korea AIr can maintain their rest of the fleet

1 Like

That’s sad but the 4 Engine planes are going down as the new 2 Engine economic planes come up

1 Like

I noticed they replaced the Seoul to Atlanta flight with a 777. That really sucks, because that was what made the Atlanta airport truly special (for me).

4 Likes

Just a reminder, the A380 is very economical for airlines but only if they maximise the capacity. If they have low capacity utilisation as is the case then yes it’s just costing the airline money.

4 Likes

Qantas cancelled some A380 orders too :/
Doesn’t sound promising for Airbus at all.

3 Likes

Well technically they still have an order for 20 just they don’t want 20. They either gonna turn em into 350-900ULR for the East coast to London flights (unlikely cause it will not economical to only have 50% of passengers,) or just wait till Airbus makes a good plane and try to convert the order to that.

2 Likes

Looking ahead, it will be interesting to see how long Emirates will use their a380s, and how long Lufthansa will use their b748s.

3 Likes