Kooks' ATC Tracking Thread - (CLOSED)

Hey guys!
My name is Luke, also known as Kook and welcome to my ATC tracking thread!

I am Australian and live in the oceanic region so I am commonly controlling airspaces/airports around the oceanic region/timezone = commonly controlling 4:30PM + AU NSW weekdays…
I am currently trying to practice for my exam to be an IFATC and currently have 3000+ ATC ops.
On this tracking thread i will announce when i am controlling/details etc.
I would greatly appreciate it if you could do some pattern work to keep me busy
or just have an awesome flight out or in my airport…
Greatly appreciated if you have any feedback or opinions/questions…

Thanks loads,
Sincerely

• Kook
    Luke M

Note:
It would also be appreciated if you could be “watching” this thread to receive notifications for when i am controlling

6 Likes

Currently CLOSE 30/May/2018

Airport: YSSY - Sydney

Server: Training Server

Duration: 40 minutes

1 Like

I’m coming to do pattern work :)

1 Like

Hey! I was VH-LJR. Thanks for service. I wasn’t there for long but everything seemed okay for me :)

1 Like

Hey Lachy,
Thanks so much for your time, really appreciate it.

Kook
(Luke M)

2 Likes

G’day Luke
So overall, pretty good! These are the only things I picked up on;

1. It helps to tell people which runway to expect
  2. No need for make right/left traffic on every clearance
  3. Transition altitude was a little high

Sequencing was perfect, wouldn’t change any other thing
Keep up the good work and you’ll be IFATC in no time! ;)

1 Like

G’day Josh,

Thanks for your feedback :) , really appreciate it…
Ill follow up on those tips and check out the thread about transitions…

Thanks,
Luke

2 Likes

Currently CLOSED 30/May/2018

Airport: YSSY - Sydney Australia

Duration: 1hr+

Next active control = TOMORROW 6:30 AM Zulu timezone = 4:30 PM Australia NSW

1 Like

Hey, on my way! Ascot 226.

1 Like

Thanks for controlling, I’ll get some feedback for you shortly!

1 Like

Hey Jack,
Thanks loads for your time.
I believe i may have made a error on a set of go around commands?

Thanks
Luke

2 Likes

Clearances and sequencing

Your clearances were all good. As far as I could see your sequencing was correct as well, so well done. A lot of people get that wrong or don’t understand it at first.

Transitions

These were also well done. 3000 is a good altitude, however I normally make mine at 4000 because sometimes aircraft fly their patterns at 3000, but that’s no biggie. It all depends on the specific moment, and how high the highest aircraft is, etc. 3000 was fine for this specific session so good one 😉

Runway changes

This was also handled well. As you could probably see by my close call on takeoff, I was struggling with the crosswind in my little F-22 so I requested a change. It is only that however, a request, so you don’t have to accept it but you should always try your best to accommodate it if you can.

Go arounds

This is the thing that you messed up on a bit, as you said above. It wasn’t actually the go around, it was the runway crossings. You seemed to have an aircraft crossing runway 25 while I was on short final and I was definitely going to crash into him, which is why I went around. That sort of thing would have been an instant fail in the practical test. The testers wouldn’t go around even if they were aware of the upcoming conflict, because they would be waiting for you to resolve it.

In short, don’t be afraid to use the go around command. If the visibility is bad or it’s dark or whatever, the aircraft on final may not be able to see the aircraft crossing until it’s too late. And remember, the aircraft isn’t technically off the runway until the whole of the aircraft is behind the hold short line. Even if an aircraft has stopped with its nose wheel just behind the line, the chances are that it’s nose has actually gone over the line. This technically counts as a runway incursion and a go around must be issued.

Overall, you’re definitely not a bad controller. Keep controlling like that and with the improvements I’ve mentioned about the go-arounds, you’ll smash the practical exam.
I’ll try and come fly again, but if I can’t make it then good luck with the test!

Thanks,
Jack

1 Like

Hey! Just to let you know, in the new version of the IFATC manual it says that for pushbacks you don’t need to tell the aircraft which runway to expect. The pilot should know which runways are active due to the direction of traffic and ATIS if on expert server, among other things.

Just thought I’d let you know since you’re also IFATC and for some reason they’ve been emphasising that quite a lot recently.
Thanks,
Jack

1 Like

Yes I am aware of this. This is on training though, so for the meantime it will keep things organised as there is no ATIS :)

2 Likes

Hey Jack,
Thanks so much for your valuable feedback and time,
I’ll keep up the work and follow your tips etc particularly on go around procedures…

With that go around situation,
When the aircraft requested runway crossing 25 and you were on a short final, i told the aircraft on ground frequency to hold short of the runway, but unfortunately for some reason he crossed the runway and got in your way…
On the other hand, i believe i should’ve reacted quickly and told you to go around and make right traffic, due to the aircraft not following instructions…

Thanks,
Hopefully see you flying again

Luke

2 Likes

Currently CLOSED 1st/June/2018 :)

Airport: EGLL - TOWER FREQ - London

Duration: 1HR+

If you have any airport suggestions, please let me know :)

1 Like

Currently CLOSED 2nd/June/2018 :)

Airport: KSFO - San Francisco

Duration: 30Min

If you have any airport suggestions, please let me know :)

1 Like

Thanks for doing ATC at KSFO. Had a good time, you did well in my opinion!

1 Like

Currently CLOSED 11th/June/2018 :)

Airport: KJFK -

Duration: 30 min

1 Like

Currently CLOSED

• Connection problem - Sorry

TOWER/GROUND 15th/June/2018 :)

Airport: UUEE - Moscow

Duration: