Kobe Bryant Helicopter Crash Initial Report Released

Today, February 9th, the NTSB released the initial report of the crash of a Sikorsky S-76B Helicopter (N72EX) in Calabasas, California on January 26th, 2020 that killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and all 7 others on board.

Timeline/Summary:

The helicopter departed from Santa Ana, CA’s John Wayne Airport (SNA) bound for Camarillo, CA (CMA). It was a VFR flight being conducted between 400 and 600 feet above ground level, under clouds leveled at 1100 feet with 2-3 miles visibility. The helicopter was flying along a highway US 101.

9:44:34 am local time: The pilot of the westbound aircraft told ATC that they were going to climb above the clouds which peaked at 2400 feet, and the Sikorsky climbed at approximately 1500 fpm (feet per minute).

9:45:10 am local time: The helicopter reached almost 2400 feet and began banking to the left

9:45:15 am local time: The left bank was so great, the aircraft started descending

9:45:17 am local time: ATC asked for the pilot’s intentions, to which the pilot retorted a climb to 4000. The helicopter continued rapidly descending, went through the cloud layer, and crashed 1-2 seconds later on the side of a hill.

Investigation Focus

The investigation focused on a few causes for the crash:

• Preflight & Flight Risk

The preflight was 2 hours before departure time when weather was good for flying, and the weather had changed to what would be considered ‘low-risk’ conditions by the airline. The pilot did not resubmit a weather risk form, which would have cause for a new flight plan from a supervisor at the airline had he resubmitted one.

• Flying into IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) and Poor Weather Avoidance Training

The pilot’s decision to fly into the clouds to rise above them happened after he had started flying into the IMC conditions. The pilot’s training to avoid IMC conditions said to maneuver slowly or land were apparently disregarded.

• Spatial Disorientation

Flying into the clouds left the pilot without a true human reference to the horizon or ground, which in turn caused vertigo or spatial disorientation, which then lead to losing control of the helicopter.

• Continued IMC Flying

The pilot did not choose to leave the clouds due to “self induced pressure”, no alternative flight plan or landing spot (heliport/airport), and wanting to continue the flight.

• Incomplete Safety Management System

Island Express, the charter airline operating the helicopter, had chosen not to implement a full SMS which lead to the inability to thoroughly complete the flight risk analysis form completed by the pilot.

• No Crash-Resistant Flight Recorder

The flight recorder on board had not survived the crash which made observing the controls of the helicopter prior to the crash impossible or very difficult. Had there been one, the investigation would most likely have been less difficult and timely.

Probable Cause

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this
accident was the pilot’s decision to continue flight under visual flight rules into instrument
meteorological conditions, which resulted in the pilot’s spatial disorientation and loss of control.
Contributing to the accident was the pilot’s likely self-induced pressure and the pilot’s plan
continuation bias, which adversely affected his decision-making, and Island Express Helicopters
Inc.’s inadequate review and oversight of its safety management processes.

Direct quote from the NTSB report on the crash. Here is the crash report for the N72EX Sikorsky S-76B helicopter crash, where further causes and recommendations to Island Express, the FAA, and various helicopter companies are listed.

This topic is allowed as per the second part of the third rule of the #real-world-aviation category.

39 Likes

Saw this on the news. So sad that they died. Why did it happen to such kind people. Well, they’re in a better place now 😢

7 Likes

RIP to him🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

3 Likes

It was a sad day. At least we now know the cause, may the Black Mamba and his daughter, and everyone involved in the accident, Rest in Peace. #24 #8

4 Likes

I am quite skeptical of their report. Only THREE of the people on the NTSB are actual pilots and none are helicopter pilots (as of three weeks ago). They may know from data, but they won’t know what actual pilots do.

A helicopter pilot explained what he thinks happened, and he said that the pilot likely performed a well known heli maneuver that is supposed to get them out of the clouds, where they pull a 180 and hard descent (reflective of flight data).

He also explains that the pilot had a previous run in with the FAA after flying into clouds when he wasn’t supposed to, and likely didn’t want his license taken, so he performed the maneuver without telling ATC. He should have told ATC that he made a mistake, needed vectors from the clouds, and that he was IFR rated (which he was).

A terrible incident that never should have occurred, I feel for all those impacted.

1 Like

Honestly it makes perfect sense to me. It also matches with ATC comms and how the human body works. A helicopter pilot isn’t needed for the NTSB. If they know how a helicopter works, they are good for the job.

“there’s heroes and there’s legends heroes get remembered, but legends never die”

2 Likes

I was at KVNY airport that morning to fly a plane I had rented, with my mom as passenger, but the visibility was not good (I wasn’t IFR rated at the time). I still did my preflight checks, and got the plane ready, and told my mom that weather pending, the plane was ready. I waited a while, but the weather didn’t clear up, so I cancelled my rental.

I remember thinking that there’s usually a mountain at the south end of Runway 16R - and that day I couldn’t see that mountain due to fog/low level clouds, which kinda sealed my decision not to go up. My mom was a student pilot herself, so she understood fully when I told her why I was cancelling the flight.

I came back into the FBO, and returned the dispatch book, and one of my instructors comes running in and tells us the news that a helicopter smashed into the nearby mountain.

Till this day I remember that morning as a harsh lesson in aeronautical decision making. I still get goosebumps when I think of it.

10 Likes

Thank you for making a sensible decision like that

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.