KLM's First (Oldest) 744 to Leave Fleet

It’s not the first 744 to leave the fleet, but the first one that joined the fleet.

“November 7th will be the day the first Boeing 747-400 delivered to KLM, and also the first one in Europe, will leave the KLM fleet.
The PH-BFA ‘City of Atlanta’ joined the fleet on April 15th 1989.
Over the past 27,5 years she has flown for 125.834 hours and made 16.880 cycles, meaning she spent more than half of her life time flying and making money for KLM.
It will be a sad time when all KLM 747’s will be gone and KLM will be a twin engine aircraft only airline.”

Photo: Ramon Kok

Photo: Ger Buskermolen
A brand new PH-BFA. Taken on June 20th 1989.

22 Likes

That’s so sad

4 Likes

The 747 will be remembered as the plane who revolutionized the aviation, a jewel of engineering.

6 Likes

A pity to see this go.

5 Likes

Today I was able to see the PH-BFA in all her glory.
She’s now being stripped of all marking.

12 Likes

Wow sad to see that klm retiring such an amazing aircraft in their fleet. [quote=“Jan, post:1, topic:74685”]
Over the past 27,5 years she has flown for 125.834 hours and made 16.880 cycles, meaning she spent more than half of her life time flying and making money for KLM.
[/quote]

What was the other half of this beauty and beast doing for the rest of its life

1 Like

All other things aircraft do when they’re not actually flying.

Sitting at the gate. Being cleaned. Being boarded. That sort of stuff.

2 Likes

Oh wait I misinterpreted what u were saying

More 747 dying… so sad😔😢

2 Likes

First the st.maarten route ending. Now this. Sad. Is this the one that was operating the st.maarten flight?

Just one night left at EHAM and then she’ll be gone for good. :(

7 Likes

I think the KLM livery looks absolutely amazing on the B747. Sad to see it go. What will they be using to replace the B747?

1 Like

For some routes the A330.
On other routes de 789 or the 773.

3 Likes

This was the aircraft’s final departure, yesterday morning.

Photo: Ramon Kok

12 Likes

I know I wanted to see a 744 flying over my head but I won’t get to anymore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.