KLM Crew Arrested for Supposed Drug Smuggling

Just recently, in Argentina, a group of crew members and airport ground staff on a KLM Cargo 747 operated by Martinair Holland have been arrested for drug smuggling. It was in the aircraft after customs and police searched the aircraft to find one of the largest drug hauls to be found on an aircraft.

About 80 kilograms of 82 bricks of cocaine totaling to a value of 8 million dollars was found in the 747.
Footage of the incident has been released of the drugs being loaded onto the aircraft:

KLM and Martinair have vowed to fully cooperate with the Argentinian authorities’ investigation of this entire fiasco and resolving a major attempt at hauling drugs onto an aircraft.

What do you think? Do you think it was right to have them arrested? Discuss below!

19 Likes

Yup they deserved to be arrested it’s illegal

2 Likes

Is it their’s though? That’s the question.

1 Like

The case hasn’t been fully investigated hence why it is unfair to blatantly blame the pilots. In cargo ops, many people have access to the aircraft ie loadmasters, ground crew etc. In this case, sensitive as it is, the most prudent choice would be to refrain from speculation until more info is released by respective authorities.

3 Likes

Well they are taking the necessary actions.

Yup, the authorities did the most prudent thing there as the statement from the pilots can be useful to the investigation however your tone at your earlier post indicates that the KLM crew were actively involved in the smuggling despite the case being premature.

2 Likes

Very good point I’d say.

1 Like

Holy mackerel! But also this is just straight up stupid.

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it the cabin crew’s job to check through the aircraft and report any suspicious. I mean they deserved to be arrested for potential possession of illegal drugs (in some countries) but also if I’m correct - it means that they didn’t perform their job correctly.

2 Likes

Looks like the police had to do it for them.

1 Like

When they should’ve checked the cabin as per their training

As that’s a Cargo flight there’s no Cabin Crew. The captain has to sign a load sheet though (and I am pretty sure he is at least in some way responsible that everything is legal and correct).

2 Likes

Drugs ends you up in jail. Glad they found the stash before it got delivered. Crazy this happened on KLM/Martinair

3 Likes

Knowing the reputation of South America, i wouldn’t put blame on KLM Crew but the Argentina based ground workers.
But we’ll see

1 Like

This is interesting…

does it matter? drugs are drugs and they’re illegal, they gonna face the consequences no matter if its theirs or not

2 Likes

Technically it is but most of the time they trust their guys on the aircraft make sure nothing crazy took place.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.