KLAX Special Taxi Instruction

The following special remark for KLAX piqued my interest:

“ANY ACFT THAT COMES TO A STOP OR HAS ITS MOMENTUM INTRPD WHILE TURNING AND TAXING INTO ITS PRKG PSN, MUST STOP AND BE TOWED.”

I noticed this once IRL while taxiing to the gate in a Virgin Australia 77W. The captain got on the loudspeaker and said something along the lines of “we came to a halt too soon…have to be towed into the gate.”

Why is this? Jetblast? Potential damage to concrete from the nose wheel?

Thanks and happy flying,
Mark
N1ME

6 Likes

I’m not entirely sure but don’t you have to use quite a bit of thrust to start taxiing from a standstill? It could be a health and safety issue close to the gates. (Just a guess)

Certainly an interesting discussion though.

3 Likes

Parking Position is what this stands for in case it didn’t make sense.

Yes! You got it. I’ll include a neat PDF that explains and gives visual depictions where this would be applicable. But the TLDR is for jetblast reasons. The jetblast of say the A380 can be as strong as 50mph 300ft behind the aircraft. This is concerning especially in close quarter areas such as LAX because the terminals are close to each other. A small pebble or FOD foreign object debris can become a flying bullet and hit a person, ground vehicle or aircraft and cause some serious damage. The break away power to get the aircraft moving is quite high when compared to the power needed to keep the aircraft in motion.

Happy reading. I’m a visual learner and I think you’ll find this helpful. You’ll like the info below. 🙂

15 Likes

But how do u know which taxi ways are what

@Carlos_lurajud Airport diagrams like this give you the names of all of the taxiways, FBO locations, ARFF stations, Cargo ramps, and more. But I digress.

4 Likes

Progressive taxi please.

1 Like

I never use the taxiways closes to the RWY like Bravo, I probably would use Delta to get to RWY 06L/R AND 24L/R to take off but landing I always taxi along the taxiway closes to the RWY

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.