KJFK Spotting Location Recommendations

I didn’t want to put this in Spotting because I didn’t think it fit the requirements, but if this needs to be moved please do not hesitate to do so. I am curious, for any of you New York-JFK spotters out there, what locations do you recommend to be able to spot? Photography isn’t necessarily a top priority, but I would like to be able to see the planes quite low as they are landing at JFK.

Please keep this in mind:
-It will most likely be myself and my Dad doing the spotting.
-I would like to avoid foresty areas, as I am paranoid with ticks and have heard that some of the recommended spotting locations have many bugs such as mosquitos and ticks.
-I am open to spots both on and off the airport.

For those of you familiar with the area, I have been considering a spot on Rockaway Blvd, north of Runways 22L/R. My only issue with this is that the stretch of Rockaway Blvd that is north of the airport seems to have a lack of parking available. For this spot, does anyone know if there are nearby areas to park? Or should I park somewhere else along Rockaway Blvd and possibly take the Q113 bus?

Thank you all for the recommendations!

4 Likes

I recommend checking out spotterguide they are very helpful and have lots of locations for almost all major airports. :)

Thank you, I will take a look.

1 Like

Generally questions asking about #real-world-aviation spotting are usually put into the Spotting category, so we’ll leave it at that.

The TWA Hotel Pool is always an option if you’d like to avoid forest areas. However, I believe it costs money now if you’re not actually staying in the hotel.

When you’re talking about low landings, do you mean almost like St. Maarten’s Maho Beach? The TWA Hotel won’t give you a view like that but it let’s you see a wide view of JFK.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look into this area. And by low landings, this is what I meant:

This was taken at the spot I mentioned on Rockaway Blvd, north of the Runways 22L/R. (Not my picture, taken from the spotterguide.net website given above.