KJFK in the post-9/11 era

Recently watched a documentary on YouTube about the NORAD response to the 9/11 attack. One thing that has changed post-9/11 is the availability of fighter aircraft for intercepting rogue flights. Apparently there are many more places with fighter aircraft ready to launch. But how does this help with an airport like KJFK, which is a stone’s throw from downtown Manhattan, NYSE, etc? If a terrorist were to obtain control of an aircraft immediately after takeoff, I doubt fighter aircraft would be able to get off the ground before the terrorist had a chance to crash into a building.

Seeing as how it’s impossible that I’m the first person to think about this, I’m sure there’s contingency measures in place for such an event. Are there missile silos now located at strategic airports? Or am I wrong about fighters not being in range to intercept on time in a situation like this?

There are other measures in place to deal with this.

3 Likes

I’m going to say something and it’ll probably make me sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I’m not. 😂(I’m 15 and not into that sort of stuff.) Like @AR_AR said, there are things already in place I’m sure, but there’s probably other things the government doesnt tell civilians that they have in place. Just my opinion!

2 Likes

Thanks, guys. As I said, I’m sure there are other things in place. Just wondering whether some such measures are common knowledge among pilots, which I am not.

1 Like

You’re 15 years old… 9/11 was comitted in 2001…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.