KFSM Morning Spotting

Hey IFC,

As I promised on Tuesday due to poll reports, I went plane spotting. These aren’t the best pictures, but I just wanted to have fun. Also, we don’t have the most airplanes here but there’s enough to still have fun. Hope you enjoy them! I used a Canon EOS 90D with a 75-300mm lens.

Vote which is your favorite…

0 voters
20 Likes

We need to fix this ASAP.

3 Likes

To what lol? Sony’s 1200mm?

1 Like

There are budget options but mounting a 75-300 to a 90D is like driving a 458 except you can’t take it out of first gear.

2 Likes

What lens do you use? 300mm takes decent photos.

1 Like

I’m on a Sony setup so my gear situation isn’t applicable to you. The 75-300 is “fine” on the shorter end (most lenses are) but it tends to get pretty soft and inaccurate towards the higher end which is generally where you want your spotting lenses to be excellent (you can see the focus is slightly missed on the E175 which I assume is a longer focal). If you want to save money I’d probably go for a 55-250 IS STM. You can probably pick one up for like $200 these days and it’s much sharper and more consistent than the 75-300 (remember, the newest version of the 75-300 is technology from the 1990s). If you think 250mm is too short, you can spend a little more and get a 70-300 IS II USM for $400-500. Optically similar to the 55-250 but it has more reach and stays light. If you don’t mind a little weight, you can step up to Sigma or Tamron’s 100-400 lenses, which give more reach with similar opticals for about $600.

Of course, it’s your choice whether you want to upgrade or not and a 75-300 can certainly take good photos if you know how to use it and give it the right conditions to work with. I just think that having such an expensive camera body with such a cheap lens is wasting its potential.

1 Like

I have Sigma short range, but I’m thinking about getting a better lens. Is the 90D a good camera?

1 Like

Short range matters less for spotters. You really only need big money on short range if you plan to do portraits or something along with aircraft photos. 90D is good, you don’t need to touch that.

2 Likes

Okay, I appreciate the feedback.

2 Likes

300mm on this lens is softer than clothes washed with Comfort Intense Fabric Softener. An incredible scent and freshness in up to 32 washes! #notsponsored

As Andrew has mentioned, the 55-250 IS STM is a gold standard for budget telephoto lenses. You won’t find a sharper lens under 200.

I also have a 90D, and it makes me cry a little seeing it with such a poor lens. It’s like buying a supercar and only driving it at 20mph.

250mm may not have the reach you’re after, but the 90D has a 32.5MP sensor. You can crop into an image considerably before you start to notice any detail loss, assuming you’ve shot with the right settings

2 Likes

I’m currently on Amazon looking for a lens lol.

1 Like

That one is way more

That’s an L lens, I’m talking about the non L one. Make sure you read the fine print behind the focal lengths because a lot of lenses are named similar things.

Oh okay, I misunderstood.

1 Like

Hey is that the E175 that diverted?

1 Like

No, he flew out yesterday

1 Like

Ah okay 👍 .

1 Like

A fellow Arkansan, Im not far away in LIT

Oh nice, been there many times.

1 Like

very good comparison i actually understood that very well