Katl atis info

So right now I’m Atlanta in IF they are using the east side of the airport for departures and arrivals but in real life, they are using the west side. Why would ATC have the ATIS set for using the east side?

It depends on the weather and traffic flow in game. Sometimes it takes longer for winds to come over to IF so it could be a delay in weather or ATL has a special procedure at the moment for their traffic flow.

2 Likes

Yeah but they’ve been using the west side all day though.

Then they must have a reason to do so whether that be the traffic flow or other factors that contribute to that decision.

1 Like

It is also up to the Controller. There is not a rule saying that they are required to have the runways the same as IRL. My guess is whoever the controler is hasn’t looked at what ATL is using IRL. It doesn’t matter a whole lot as well since you are still able to take off and land.

2 Likes

Controllers aren’t required to follow real world ATIS. As long as the winds are within our ATC limitations, what they are doing is fine.

2 Likes

Hey there! I was controlling KATL local back when you made this. Just a peek into my thought process and what I saw: When I took control, the winds were about 160°and 10G24kts. Soon thereafter, the winds shifted to 230° and upped both steady and gusting, so I changed runway ops to account for that. Then they settled around 180°-190°, so I decided it was easier for everyone to just keep the new config. I could’ve switched back, but there were quite a few inbounds coming in for the 26/7/8s and my workload/ flow on ground was smooth for westerly flow. It is true that I didn’t look up the IRL runway ops, but I believed that what I had set up was working best for everyone at the time. I hope this helps you to understand why things were different!

6 Likes

All good man thanks for responding!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.