Kai Tak Flight Planning

I use simBrief for flight planning, as many of you already know, and I was hoping to plan a flight from Tokyo Narita to Kai Tak. I enter VHXX into the destination portion of simbrief and it says:

I tried FPLtoIF and I had a similar issue.

How am I supposed to plan for Kai Tak if it doesn’t exist in the two realistic planners? I know that before Chek Lap Kok Airport (Hong Kong International), Kai Tak had the IATA of HKG and the ICAO of VHHH, like Chek Lap Kok has now.

1 Like

The problem may be that the airport doesnt exist IRL anymore. Plan your flight to VHHH and remake the end of the FPL manually, but there is approach ATC so they will vector you. So many tabs in your browser btw :)

14 Likes

Had the very same problem. Checked onto Google maps and now there are just new buildings built on the runway so it doesn’t look to exist anymore. It’s an old airport.

I flew there this morning and used some charts I found online. All waypoints present on the charts are also in IF.

1 Like

Simply modify your last waypoint to be the CC VOR and view the charts above 👍🏻

1 Like

Well, my flight plan has me do

RJAA PHLOX TETRA HME GOTEN IGAWA 3509N/13808E BUPPO DARTS KINAI HABAR BALIE CHINU ISAKY CAMAS POTET ONIKU NIRAT PONIK SADLI LAMEN SURAK EMSAN MATNU PINOT IPRAG LASAN PONAB RULMU HSN TOGUG BEGMO OKATO NUDPO PONEN OBKEL APAKA TOLAK LAPUG LELIM MALKA 2220N/11554E MAGOG ENPET FISHA ABBEY MUSEL TAMAR TD GUAVA SOKOE LIMES VHHH

but I modified it to this

RJAA PHLOX TETRA HME GOTEN IGAWA 3509N/13808E BUPPO DARTS KINAI HABAR BALIE CHINU ISAKY CAMAS POTET ONIKU NIRAT PONIK SADLI LAMEN SURAK EMSAN MATNU PINOT IPRAG LASAN PONAB RULMU HSN TOGUG BEGMO OKATO NUDPO PONEN OBKEL APAKA TOLAK LAPUG LELIM MALKA 2220N/11554E MAGOG ENPET FISHA ABBEY MUSEL TAMAR TH CH GOLF SL R288 RW VHXX

When I did this flight my approach waypoints were similar. Looks like you have the instrument approach plugged in too.

Like several other airports in IF that one can consider of vintage or classic nomenclature… Kai Tak was closed in 1998…as elucidated in this Wiki…so using the VHHH approach is the only logical ATC solution.

For some reason the airports name on simbrief and fpltoif is VHHX, not VHXX. I had the same problem a couple of days ago.

1 Like

VHHX Infinite flight actually has it wrong as they name it VHXX. As stated above back before 1998 it was VHHH. Once closed it was then known with an X in place of the H denoting closed

2 Likes

Yeah. That’s right. They should change it in IF.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.