Just some Questions

Question 1: Are landing lights turned off / on at 10,000ft AGL or MSL?

Question 2: what are the green / red outlines on some airports?

3 Likes

Good questions!

1. Landing lights are turned off above 10K AGL

2. Green means grass pavements and red means dirt pavements

8 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

To elaborate a little on what @Drummer said for the first question if anyone is curious what the irl rules are, per the FAA there is technically no requirement for landing light usage but it is recommended under 10K and in other conditions.

The only regulatory requirement for a landing light comes from 14 CFR § 91.205 which includes all required equipment for flight and under the night section states “If the aircraft is operated for hire, one electric landing light.” The only official FAA reference to landing light usage I’m aware of is AIM 4-3-23 which states “Pilots are encouraged to turn on their landing lights during takeoff; i.e., either after takeoff clearance has been received or when beginning takeoff roll. Pilots are further encouraged to turn on their landing lights when operating below 10,000 feet, day or night, especially when operating within 10 miles of any airport, or in conditions of reduced visibility and in areas where flocks of birds may be expected, i.e., coastal areas, lake areas, around refuse dumps, etc.” The AIM isn’t legally binding so that is why it is always stated as a recommendation not a requirement.

Little the more you know in case anyone was curious about what was and was not required in the real world if they want to apply that to infinite flight. If anyone knows of anything more than this please let me know.

2 Likes

Fancy airports you’ve got there. Who built those? 👀😜

6 Likes

Are landing light typically used on crossings or is it just strobes?

2 Likes

landing lights don’t have to turn on when crossing the runway, just turn on the strobe lights.

1 Like

I know it’s not a requirement, I’m asking general practice across airlines

4 Likes

In aircraft where the landing light and taxi light are one in the same I would assume at night at least it is used for crossings as it would be used for all taxing. Beyond that fairly common sense answer I would assume it probably comes down to pilot preference or company policy since there is no regulatory requirement I’m aware of. What the normal pilot preference or company policy is though I cannot say with any certainty since I’m not a pilot.

Additionally as for other lights per 14 CFR 91.209 anti collision lights are required to be used any time an aircraft is operating unless the pilot dems it unsafe, and position/navigation lights are required at night.

2 Likes

I watched a UPS 747-8 cross 15/33 at PANC and he turned his on, and most of the crossings I’ve seen had them on but I’ve also seen plenty of them with just strobes

3 Likes

Thank you for this amazing answer

1 Like

Awesome job!

No problem, I hope it wasn’t a little too technical for this simple question 😂

2 Likes

The more you know the better

1 Like

Yea, most airline SOPs have their pilots turning on landing lights and strobes while crossing or entering a runway, at least in the United States.

3 Likes

That’s what I figure as well. I am sort of realizing that for as in depth as my answer is it really doesn’t answer your question. The section of the AIM (Airman Information Manual) I quoted doesn’t say MSL or AGL. Though since it isn’t legally binding and the regulations don’t say anything about landing light usage I guess the real answer to your question is that there is no official answer and it lies on the pilot in command’s discretion or company policy at airlines. Of course this is also all just for the US, though rarely do the FAA regulations disagree significantly with the rest of the world.

1 Like

I always do that every time I cross a runway.

1 Like

AirFrance turns on Strobes, not Landing

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.