Just A Small Reminder

Hi everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, particular any radar controllers of you, but as a pilot I’ve noticed an increase in the number of people requesting flight following unnecessarily more recently. Most of you reading probably know this to be fair, but as a reminder for those who don’t…

Flight Following is a VFR service, offered to aircraft flying visually. If you’re flying an airliner, you are almost certainly not this, definitely not if you’re up at usual cruise altitudes.It also contradicts the use of “with you” (an IFR checkin). Here’s the section in the user guide: En-Route | Infinite Flight

Just a small pet peeve of mine I wanted to remind people of.

34 Likes

about time someone mentioned this 😂

6 Likes

Finally! So many times I fly people check in and say flight following.

4 Likes

Yes! Finally. On the training server I get so many of these when i am controlling lol!

4 Likes

I see so many people doing this even on expert server. It’s even more annoying when people still do it even after the controller says that there is no need to request a flight following.

5 Likes

And a little reminder about requesting your departure… Remaining in the pattern means you stay and play at the airport…departing means you are leaving…🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

7 Likes

Thanks so much for mentioning this 😂

As an IFATC officer myself who controls radar a bunch this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Not only is it unrealistic but it also adds more workload to the controller with an unnecessary command.

4 Likes

The amount of times people request flight following after checking in is way too common for the expert server

I’m happy you mentioned this! 😂

2 Likes

This.gif

9 Likes

Thank for mentioning this.

2 Likes

Thx for brining this up. I’m literally tired of selecting the same command over and over again while covering Departure Freq. on the ES(!). I can confirm at least every second pilot is requesting the service following their fpl.

2 Likes

I was also doing this. In my Mind I thought “Flight Following” meant that ATC will follow/ guide you until out of reach. Guess I (and a lot of other users) were wrong. Thanks for the Post

2 Likes

Flight Following (full term: “VFR Flight Following”) is named this because ATC will follow you as you follow your own flight path and inform you of traffic/any updates that may contribute to the safe operation of your flight.

They will not give you vectors unless absolutely necessary and they do not restrict you to any set path.

IFR check in assumes ATC has access to your flight plan and flight information, which - like in real life - they do in Infinite Flight.

3 Likes

So only when I don’t have a FlightPlan I should Call for flight Following?

2 Likes

Correct.

VFR flying is flying without a flight plan based on visual landmarks and cues.

Realistically, you should not be flying VFR in a commercial aircraft or in any period of low visibility, but you can be flying IFR in a Cessna if you so choose.

ATC can see your intended flight path and destination on our screens when you have a flightplan, so all you need to do is check in and continue on your way unless (as you mentioned) you do not have a flight plan.

2 Likes

perfect thanks!

1 Like

It’s funny how people don’t notice how it says (VFR) on the command 😂

Possibly a mix of not noticing and not knowing what VFR means, but true

That’s just fax

Perhaps it’d be an idea to grey-out the Flight following/VFR option when a player has a flight plan filed?

2 Likes