JFK runway 13L/31R construction finished!

Finally! JFK airport can start using 13R/31L and 13L/31R again!

JFK’s oldest runway 13L/31R has been under construction for the past 7 months and just yesterday has reopened! They for a while have been only using 4L/22R and 4R/22L operations.
Now they have reopened their vital runway and can continue using 31R/31L and 13R/13L operations!
Runway 13L/31R now has updated runway lighting system (used to be the antiquated original system), they have resurfaced it for a big increase in effective life, and have widened it to 200ft, like all the other runways at JFK.
Runway 13L/31R now finally achieves appropriate FAA safety regulations!
Hooray!

Regulars feel free to edit this for any false or left out info

18 Likes

Waiting to see it in IF soon!

3 Likes

@Moritz Its runway time!

Looks… interesting? If you may or may not know, I can not stand any of the New York (or east coast airports) airports because of bad experiences at both.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen this in a long time!

2 Likes

That’s the wrong runway :)

1 Like

@RTG113 @DanielVitiello @Transport_Hub let’s celebrate 🎉

4 Likes

This is awesome. I can’t wait for more heavies over the Hudson.

3 Likes

If you’re waiting for more heavies over the Hudson, you’ll be waiting for a very long time 😉. This change does not mean more planes will be going over the Hudson River.

Runway 13L is home to the famous Parkway Visual approach, which has aircraft go over Floyd Bennet Field, follow the Belt Parkway and do a dramatic right turn to touchdown 13L. Runway 31R on the other hand, is pretty boring, with just a standard approach, however the short runway poses challenges for pilots, especially those piloting bigger aircraft such as the B747 and A380.

6 Likes

This is great! I don’t live near JFK, but I’m going spotting there soon!

2 Likes

During low visibility conditions, the visual can’t be used so there’s the standard approach done. Technically those arrivals turn over the tip of Manhattan (close enough to the Hudson/East Rivers) then establish on final for 13L.

Of course it’s extremely rare. I’ve seen it done maybe 2 times.

Anyway… I felt like this runway took a really long time to repave and upgrade. I wasn’t aware they were widening it as well so I guess that delayed things a bit. Hopefully this means fewer delays. There were a handful of times when controllers had to use a single runway for takeoffs and landings which caused massive ground and air delays.

4 Likes

That is correct! Last done when the moon was blue and the tides were just right.

3 Likes

It’s rare but certainly an amazing approach. I live right under the approach path and usually when its foggy the planes come out of the clouds and over my house. The sound they produce is amazing!

1 Like

Yeah, you really get a good glimpse of how tight the NYC airspace is when JFK has these extended 13L approaches active. LGA arrivals are like right above these guys - give or take 1000 feet.

2 Likes

What are they going to do about 4R/22L? It’s way short, even shorter than 13L/31R, and is still asphalt.

Really cool, Glad they completed this!

1 Like

I doubt they’re going to do anything about it right now. I think that one of the main reasons for the runway renovation was to add high-speed taxiway exits (I might be wrong). 4R/22L already has those. Plus, it would be hard to make it any longer as both ends of the runway end with water. Plus, the runway isn’t used as much as the other runways, as it’s only used for landings (although to be fair, 13L/31R is also only used for landings as well)

1 Like

Great news! No more ridiculous delays and amazing looking queues.

4 Likes

An old coworker of mine was one of the operating engineers out there helping with asphalt and concrete. He was working every day of the week just about and worked lots of extra shifts. They were pushing hard to get it completed before the cold really sets in. Glad to see these upgrades!

PS- they pulled in additional operators and laborers from neighboring New Jersey unions. I used to be a New Jersey Local 172 asphalt technician.

2 Likes

@Nathan @Transport_Hub @Lucas_Piedra You guys are referring to the JFK runway 13L CAT II/III approaches. It is indeed a fantastic approach to watch happen! And just like you said, I’ve only seen it done a handful of times, mostly during the winter.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.