Jet2 Rapid Descent

So I came across this article, and I feel the heading and most of the text is very misleading/ scaremongering. Reading what actually happened it’s nowhere near as bad as it was made out in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

14 Likes

Isn’t that a normal flight in TS1?

33 Likes

Yep totally normal TS1 but TS1 is more of a Heavier Nose dive

2 Likes

40-50 degrees is a LIE!! Wouldn’t of been more than 15

7 Likes

No in TS1 you stall over the runway

1 Like

What what the Flight number and datw?

1 Like

How do you know? You weren’t on the flight. You don’t know what happened!

Becuase if it had been more the plane would have oversped and broke apart. logic

1 Like

You never know, it could be a cheap magic plane:)

2 Likes

“The captain explained that there was a drop in cabin pressure and he had to get the plane down to a safe altitude.”

No way the pilots risked a 50 degree dive for a pressurization issue. In reality, the descent was probably more around 15 degrees. According to ADS-B tracking data, the emergency descent occurred at a rate of about -4000 fpm for about 12 minutes until it reached 4800 feet; A safe altitude for unassisted breathing. This article seems very over dramatized, and the 50 degree statement is a borderline lie. The airplane did not come close to its “never exceed speed” and was still under its operational envelope.

5 Likes

Thats more like 10 degrees really. 50 would simply disintegrate the plane

1 Like

I think the pilots would have been incapacitated from the drop of pressure and the pretty much saved the whole plane by nosediving with an over exaggerated 50 degree dive into the sea and scaring everyone on the plane

Media and aviation do not match. Period.

9 Likes

Has anyone found this on FR24? This massively frustrated me, really bad press!

1 Like

Ryanair also do -4000fpm but they don’t do it whilst descending they do whilst landing.

9 Likes

Well said @Samuel123abc, well said.

40-50 is bs I am afraid. You simply would not put the nose down that much in a rapid descent. I have done it many times in a fixed based sim on the 737.

1 Like

Safe altitude you aim for is 10,000ft not 4800ft.

3 Likes

It wasn’t 50 degrees. In any case the first memory action on losing control of cabin pressure when above 10,000 ft is for the pilots to put on their oxygen masks. This is before they do anything else. There would have been no danger of the pilots being incapacitated.

2 Likes

What makes 4800ft not a safe altitude? Sure, it’s the altitude where there is breathable air, but they may have needed to descend to an altitude where they could land at Barcelona.