Jet Speed Limits Reminder

In the past month or so I have been controlling and have had quite a few people who think it’s ok to contact me on Approach at +500 knots. There is a reason for ghosting people called “excessive speed in an airport environment” (something like that). I therefore tell people to “check help pages on the forum for assistance using ATC instructions” then proceed to ghost them. If the jet is going between 300-400 knots then I say, “Do not exceed 250 knots” to get them slowed to the speed of the aircraft around them.

This has been the main reason for ghosting people when I am operating an approach or TGA. I just want to bring this topic up to remind all pilots in the Expert server that just because you are in a jet doesn’t mean you can go full blast anywhere.

You need to realize that just because it is a jet and it can go full throttle out of an airport and reach 1k + knots in a matter of seconds you should do that. You should act as you are flying a B737 or an A320. Once you are out of the ATC airspace then they can not govern over you anymore and you are free to do what you want.

Airspace

APPR: 50nm out and up to FL180 AGL
Tower: 25nm out and up to 10,000 AGL

This is just a friendly reminder to all those jet lovers!

Thanks,
Ethan H (your favorite Ethan)

4 Likes

I remember one day when I was controlling EPWA, I had a fighter jet through my airspace at over 1000kts (got up to ~1400 before I ghosted) and he requested a few transitions at incorrect transition altitudes.

Nice friendly reminder, Ethan! :)

👀

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.