Italy's new airline to replace troubled Alitalia in October

ITA to commence operation in October, replacing Italian flag carrier.

After long lasting negotiations with the European Commission, ITA (Italia Trasporto Aereo) is now set to replace Alitalia. First flight to take off on October 15th, the day after Alitalia operates its last flight, Italian Economy Ministry announced Thursday.

The new airline will begin to operate with a total of 52 aircrafts, 45 short haul and 7 long haul. ITA aims for a total of 78 aircraft by 2022.

ITA may take on some of the workers from Alitalia, who in recent years staged strikes to demand more attention to the airline’s future.

The new name or logo on the new airline’s planes is still unclear. There will be public bidding for the brand “Alitalia,” which ITA said it will compete for.

"With ITA a new important Italian airline is born, with significant growth prospects, and which will be able to compete on the national and international market” Transport Minister Enrico Giovanni reported.

All restructuring plans of Alitalia and attemps to replace it in the past have failed, however this one seems quite ambitious. I wish them good luck and hope to see the new airline thrive.

29 Likes

ah yes, ITA

I’m excited to see the new airline, however also sad that they won’t keep the Alitalia brand, which represented Italy so well for decades.

12 Likes

Haha 😅

A publiic bidding will be held for the Alitalia brand, and ITA said it will fight for it. Although I’d love to see Alitalia being kept, I’m also keen on seeing what branding they will come up with.

8 Likes

Same quite sad to see the company leave, let’s hope that the company will represent as well our Italian friends as Alitalia did!

2 Likes

ITA: hey spirit can I copy your homework?

Spirit: sure just change it up a bit

ITA:

21 Likes

Man…I’m gonna miss Alitalia. Me and my brother wanted to fly on it one day but looks like that will go away. Anyway, excited to see what ITA is going to bring the the market. They’re definitely looking like Spirit Airlines’ long lost sibling or something

3 Likes

so the Italian ITA is… the copy of the copy???

3 Likes

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. Part of me is very sad that the legendary Alitalia will be no longer, and part of me is happy that Italy will be represented with a (hopefully) successful airline. Best of luck ITA! I wanted to fly for Alitalia one day, but it looks like I’ll be going to ITA!

4 Likes

Man, I’m gonna miss Alitalia. Those green cheatlines were always one of my favorites, real shame I’ll never be able to see them in real life.

Anyhow, best of luck to ITA!

3 Likes

New livery has joined the chat

3 Likes

We aren’t gonna talk about that.

5 Likes

It’s a shame that Alitalia will no longer be in service. It was the airline that took me to Italy for the first time :(

3 Likes

I’m also sad for Alitalia’s departure, I hope to see the new airline succeed. Italy deserves a succeeding flag carrier.

4 Likes

As things stand, the only planes which are leaving the fleet are the 5 A321-100 and the sole 777-300ER

3 Likes

As many others i have a deep sentimental bond to Alitalia. Im hoping they at least keep the name, as i really dont think there exists a better name for an Italian airline than “Alitalia”

For any confused people, an explanation ;)

The name Alitalia is in fact a wordplay - “Ali” is italian for “Wings”, and “Italia” is well…italian for Italy. Join the two toghether and you get “Alitalia”, the “Wings of Italy” basically ;)

4 Likes

now that “Ali” is a thing I’d have never ever imagined! What a clever name!

2 Likes

That’s pretty smart and well thought! All we can do is hope for them to win the bidding for the Alitalia brand.

2 Likes

and every other part of Alitalia wink wink corupt dealings wink wink

3 Likes

It’s quite concerning that in the space of under years 2 Italian carriers have had financial difficulties. Air Italy ceased operations and Alitalia is now being replaced by ITA due to Alitalia’s long lasting financial issues. I wish ITA the best and hope it doesn’t follow a similar path.

4 Likes

Some rumors about Alitalia logo and name itself: Ryanair wants to partecipate at the bidding. I’m almost sure they won’t win, but if they do… well, it will be interesting.

3 Likes