Issue with ATC controller at YMML.

Hello everyone! I have a question to ask. If I am almost on final and on the approach frequency, and he tells me to descend to 3000ft until established on the localizer, that means that when I arrive at the “circle” I should request a frequency change, or I should change frequency to tower without telling or I have to wait for him to tell me to change to tower?

Nope, approach will tell you when to switch frequency

3 Likes

You can always ‘report airport in sight’

1 Like

That means you will turn to intercept the localizer once it appears on your HUD. Then once you are established (lined up with the runway) the controller will tell you to contact tower.

1 Like

The controller will tell you to change frequency.

1 Like

Only report if you’re flying a visual approach and have been asked to report by the controller.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the answers, my mistake was that I didn’t line up with the runway and requested frequency change.

Just to make sure you caught this:

Only do it if you are flying a visual approach, this is very important!

2 Likes

No, you can’t.

That is for visual approaches only.

Just saying it isn’t a free frequency change, you still require the change. Not to mention that when you’re on an ILS Approach, it’s an absolutely meaningless call to make.

2 Likes

The reason approach controllers wait, is to make sure that you actually turn and intercept the localizer (I have no idea what the “circle” is).

You should never just switch on your own. You don’t need to Request frequency change. Believe me, Approach knows they need to eventually send you to tower. Focus on intercepting the localizer. Approach will hand you off when it’s time.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.