Is VFR not allowed?

I was flying a 737 VFR (which is completely legal), and “ATC Clement Boisse 2.3*” was Honolulu Approach at the time. He continuously told me to check the Help Pages for assistance using ATC Instructions when I was doing absolutely nothing wrong (he was also doing this with the other guy on frequency). Is VFR flying not allowed on the advanced server?

VFR is not allowed for jets, only radar vectors and ILS.

2 Likes

The fact that’s he’s a 2.3* should give you a few hints. And yes, you can be Vfr anytime anywhere unless above FL 180(in the real world)

Why is this?

Jets usually have a flight plane so never request a vfr

1 Like

So does usually mean it is allowed? In the real world (which I assume advanced ATC is based off of), any airplane at anytime can go VFR (under FL180).

Surely however, having a flight planned logged means that vectors are a little fustraighting. I usually just change heading according to what I’m instructed to do by controller. But is there not a way to maintain flight plan without calling VFR

I’m not familiar with the meaning of 2.3*…

Yes! Under 180 you can fly visually weather permitting. I have sat in a citation jet from tetaborro, nj to JFK at 8,000 Vfr all the way. Busy airspace prefer you be on an ifr flight plan so it reduces their workload. And yours. It’s just handoffs and one intersection to the next vs Vfr in busy airspace everyone has to watch out for you.

Again, weather permitting when you can see for miles and miles(10+) when atc is cleared you for a specific approach (Ils, rnav…) and say you already see the runway, you just report to them, you have runway in sight and from there on it’s all Vfr. This reduces their workload too, so now they can worry about other approaching traffic.

Yes you can maintain your flight plan. You would request a flight following which means that you want the controller to let you know of other traffic and you want to stay on your flight plan. VFR is reserved for props and occasionally a small jet. Other than that every jet has a flight plane and will follow that. VFR is not allowed because in real life it wouldn’t be used by jets. The jets on their flight plan request flight following.

It’s the rating of a controller.
When ATC was launched, pilots could rate the controllers from 1 (bad) to 5 (excellent).
But this rating system has been dismissed since pilots gave poor ratings if they had wait too long or weren’t allowed to do what they would like to do.
So the rate of the controller says nothing about his skills @Erj145.

Anyway, jets are never allowed to fly VFR.

3 Likes

Mate, usually numbers by the atc being on their ratings given by other pilots. 5.0 being the best and well 1.0 being the worst. Anyone between 4.2-4.5 is good. On top of things and quick.

A couple days back I saw a 1.3 rating on the adv server and I later figured out why.

1. He told me to decend from 31,000 to 9,000ft with 60miles to my next waypoint. Ridiculous.
  2. He then vectored me 40 miles off course to let 4 planes take off.

ratings aren’t important as many people would give their controller a bad rating if he made them wait to take off. they were disabled and pilots can no longer rate their controller

1 Like

Ridiculous?
In real world planes sink 1.000 ft every 3 miles.
60 miles are the proper distance for a 20.000 ft descent.

3 Likes

For the most part ratings are pretty accurate with the atcs I have ran into. Pretty deserving of the ratings good or bad

Umm… Where did you get that number from? Do the math sir. Decent rates also DO vary on the type of plane And speed of travel. I Am curious beacuse that couldn’t be further from the truth. FYI I fly commercially(American Eagle Co pilot, so I’m not making it up) and I am a certified flight instructor(cfi, cfii, mei) so I know what I am talking about.

And I have seen FedEx and ups have close to. 6k decent rate(kinda amazing to see it in.person actuall) commmercial planes not as much to keep the pax happy and comfy. I have personally had decent rates greater than 2.5 - 3k depending on the traffic at the arriving airport and weather.

And mason is partially right. Commercial planes are required to fly ifr. But like I said, when the act clears you for the runway and approach and you tell them.you have runway in SIGHT you ARE vfr. You are no longer flying an instrument approach.

1 Like

Yes that’s true that is the only time you would fly vfr in a jet along with right after take off

1 Like

Mason I am sorry to say that you are wrong. If you are flying privately, no matter the airplane (under fl180) you are not required to be IFR. Even though 99% of pilots flying jets go IFR, it is not required.

1 Like

Thank you, sir

For everyone else:

http://www.freqofnature.com/aviation/

Now try teaching all that!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes