Is this Pitch Angle Normal?

Somehow this bothers me. Are the real world Boeing 787 (9/10) nose pitch really this steep? it’s like climbing at 4000 fpm pitch

infiniteflight

using minus 65 trim made it’s nose even higher :

infiniteflight

Before doing the screenshot I was flew around 480 GS so I thought I might to slow for the aircraft weight but on 537 GS still the same.

I know it’s normal for some aircraft’s nose pitches during cruise but I think not at this angle though. I also read in this forum that the 77W also pitched up around 3 degrees. The B744 in IF also pitches up but I still find it normal (compared to this 780).

Any of the real world pilot can confirm this pitch angle?

1 Like

I think you need to learn how to step climb. You fly at FL410, with a pretty heavy aircraft. Due to the thinner air your airframe tends to end up like this. Make sure to climb over time, the more fuel you have burnt the farther up you can climb.

SE

11 Likes

Hello SE,
In another flight and at FL110, same result :

I know what step climbing is and my weight was only around 45% airplane load :)
so, what’s next?

or, maybe you want to try yourself and post your pitch angle here :)

1 Like

Try to trim out the aircraft until you see no pink line in the “trim” box.

Is this the result after trim ?

It says “0%” in the “TRIM” box.

Well, all commercial aircraft usually go to their cruising speed above 10,000 feet, and don’t stay at 240 knots.

Also, 41,000 feet is still pretty high. Aircraft usually don’t go that high unless they are pretty light. 37,000 - 39,000 would be ideal, and at Mach 0.82 to 0.84, not 0.80.

8 Likes

Also you have N1 at 102%, is your weight too heavy to cruise at FL410?

2 Likes

Two deductions

• Eother your ship is too heavy for that altitude which can mean that the cruising altitude is lower the heavier an aircraft is thus step-climbing would be recommended i.e. you begin at a lower altitude eg FL310 then as the aircraft gets lighter you climb by 2000ft after a certain amount of time again and again.

• Your speed might be too low‼️thus the aircraft is trying to maintain its altitude by pitching higher to compensate for the reduced lift caused by lower airflow around your wings due to low speed. Recommended cruising speed for the 787 family is M 0.85.

6 Likes

Hi FlyFi,
I have tried from FL290, FL330, and FL370, all still the same, and during my flight if I push the speed to above M.080 I will likely getting speed violation because it will go above 550 GS.

That violation has been removed since global.

4 Likes

You’re just not fast enough.

Hi Justin,
That depends on how much is “too heavy” because my weight was still far away from the MTOW, even though its beyond the MLW.

Anyway, on my BA 787 screenshot above, the weight has been below the MLW.

I haven’t noticed that, really? Could you show me the topic discussing this speed violation removal please? thanks dude.

1 Like

He said “only 45% airplane load” which should be enough to cruise at FL410 in a 787. Also if you look in the hub it shows on 2 hours of fuel remaining so there really isn’t much fuel to burn. If he was cruising at a faster speed his pitch would drop, however I do believe that the 787 has a pitch problem in the simulator.

4 Likes

Sorry I didn’t saw it.

If you notice the video when the violation is recieved it comes as “Max Mach 0.87”. So the new rule is M0.87 is the maximum allowed before you will get a warning/violation. For heavies it is M0.90 as @Kyle.Plane mentioned.

1 Like

And the maximum is M0.90 in heavies.

2 Likes

Alright then, I will try to reproduce this flight again with all of the suggestions in this topic and will see the result again and post it here (if this topic hasn’t been closed)

So, is there any real world pilots might also have a thought for this?

https://youtu.be/5f6AB_Qszag

This was the podcast live on youtube right before global and at around 53:10 mark said the 550 knots GS rule has been removed in global.