Is this ice on the wing and if it is was it dangerous??

Hi everyone I was on a delta a330-300 yesterday and when landing I noticed something was developing on the wing. After thinking for a while I thought it was ice. Was I correct?
(This is a screenshot from a video I took of the landing I will upload it later today)
Look closely at the bottom left and the top of the wing
Also there was water that turned into ice inside the window was this also supposed to happen?

1 Like

What was the route? Was it humid or rainy at your departure airport?

Yeah that looks like those little clouds that form around the wing when you’re landing or taking off. Perfectly normal thing, usually happens when there’s a lot of moisture in the air. And since I see clouds in the sky, I think we can assume that what you got is called, “Wing Condensation”

2 Likes

This looks like cold soaked fuel frost. Pretty common on 737s, but I believe it appears on other aircraft as well. It’s just frost that forms due to temperature difference between fuel that was cooled during the flight and ambient air.
Not really dangerous.

1 Like

It occurs on any aircraft that flys above 10,000 feet. Starting at that altitude the outside air tempature drops below freezing. It is indeed normal. The only time you should be weary is if it forms on the leading edge surfaces. There are bleed air ducts or heater pads that run through those surfaces to keep ice from forming. If it forms on the leading edges, it will disrupt the air flow around the wings reducing lift and increasing drag.

1 Like

Dat me either vapor or condensation folks. Not ice

2 Likes

The white section looks like frost/ice from the cold fuel that got exposed to mostiure as the plane was descending. You see this all the time especially during the summer months when you descend from high altitudes into humid climates.

3 Likes

Well that’s good to know. I didn’t even notice the ice " part just the vapor trail

No not the wind condensation like the solid white spots on the wing. I edited the picture and now I circled them. Also it didn’t go away after landing.

1 Like

if there are spots for ice that do develop ( which is common due to the freezing temps at higher altitudes), then there are heating pads that get rid of the ice before it can accumulate. There have been incidents a long time ago where I believe the ice played a huge factor in the crash Like AA4184 and that united flight that crashed due to ice ( forget flight number). But that was back then; completely safe and ok now :)

1 Like

The technical term is called “Fuel Frost”. But Ryan’s comment is fairly accurate. Its possible to see it in the winter months as well.

6 Likes

Ice buildup that should concern you 😂

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.