Is this considered a late takeoff?

Alright so last year i was flying from Orlando to Los Angeles on a 737-900 (Delta). After rewatching the video over a million times (not really) we didn’t rotate until the touchdown zone on the other end of the runway. here is a video of the takeoff. Skip to 2:20 for the takeoff. Lemme know what you guys think.

9 Likes

That is definitely on the late side - plane must’ve been a heavy boi.

3 Likes

Very late, I had the same thing happen to me on a United B737-800 at Chuuk, started to get nervous when I saw the bars.

2 Likes

Looked like a fairly rapid takeoff roll too, not familiar with airport but maybe they had to expedite departure so couldn’t spool up and sit on the brakes for a bit, if heavy might have extended the distance to vR speed?

I’m sure it was all managed a safe though

1 Like

Hmm. You’d probably only spool up in the brakes to 40% N1, just to stabilize the engines. From experience in rolling takeoffs, you don’t accelerate much.

Maybe also a derated or assumed temperature reduction takeoff? Also, weight plays a big role. Not only will being heavy increase Vr, it will also increase the force needed to accelerate to it.

1 Like

737s seem to do this, when @Altaria55 and I were in Miami we noticed most 737s weren’t even airborne until the touchdown zone even though the runway is 13000 feet long.

1 Like

MCO-LAX is a longer flight, so probably heavy on fuel on top of the passenger and cargo load of course.

There’s also the fact the 739 is a known runway eater, requires a lot of runway. So a heavy 739 usually requires a lot of runway.

3 Likes

Let it be known that it was almost exclusively United ones that did this

3 Likes

Same thing happened to me on the same flight where the pilots didn’t use enough reverse thrust after touchdown 😬

2 Likes

DAL and UAL tend to D-Rate their takeoffs a lot I believe- DAL more specifically on their 737s. Could explain why, though being of heavy weight is always the main factor.

2 Likes

wowzas. Well I’ll be flying on a A321neo this year back to MCO (Delta) so I’ll see how it goes this time!

You departed from Runway 18L. Considering the runway is 12,005ft long and you didn’t get off the ground until the 3000ft remiaining marker, yes, a 8000 - 9000ft takeoff takeoff run is considerably long. Even for a transcon flight.

2 Likes

hey it’s deer! I never noticed when I was recording it but just noticed last week when going back and watching it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.