Is This An Ok Starter Camera For Spotting?

So I’ve been wanting to start doing some spotting but the only cameras I have are; my Galaxy S8 (a phone that I dont have much space left on so it’s out of the question) and an Olympus TG-830. So my question is, is the TG-830 a good starter camera? I don’t have the money to go and buy a decent one at the moment.
Here are the stats for the TG-830:

Here is the camera its self:

1 Like

It looks like a great start even though I also recommend the CANON Powershot G7 X as I have had it in the past! :)

7 Likes

How much do those usually go for? (In us dollars)

1 Like

They range from 450 to 600 dollars. Is that too much?

1 Like

It’s on the higher side but still reasonable. I’d only commit to something like that once I get serious about spotting.

2 Likes

I mean, don’t expect top quality, the best you’ll probably get is “decent” quality, but if you’ve already got it and you’re currently phone spotting I absolutely say go for it. Only issues are the tiny sensor, the limited focal zoom, and I guarantee that 28-140 is not tack sharp anywhere.

3 Likes

You doing recording or photo?

If you want to go high, I would spring for a Nice 80D or something like that. For video, look for a Canon point and shoot.

1 Like

Don’t expect to get good photos from very far away, but if you can get right up to the action, it should work

1 Like

Do you already have the camera? If not, what’s your price range?

1 Like

Photo. @anon57683537 This is a camera I’ve had for a few years.

1 Like

Not bad as a starter. I have a 6 year old Cannon EOS 600D that still works and u still use. Going to buy myself a new Nikon Coolpix 90!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.