Is there such a thing as a Controller that doesn't fly?

Forgive me if this is better suited to the #general category, but I was hoping to gleam an answer from active controllers…

Being only a few months into online flying I enjoy dealing with real people in ATC as part of the overall experience. For all I haven’t ventured into the Expert servers, the controllers I’ve interacted with in the Training server have been professional and helpful (thanks!). I might have a look into having a shot at controlling at some point in the future, with guidance, however I’ll leave to those in the know for now.

This made me think though…

I’m more than confident that there will be many like me, who pilot but never control. Does it also work the other way around in Infinite Flight, where some Controllers prefer operating ATC more than flying, to the point that they rarely if ever jump in the cockpit?

This really is out of general curiosity, anybody care to share their thoughts?

4 Likes

You’re lucky

21 Likes

At the moment I don´t fly only control but it will change some time

1 Like

I’m a hardcore controller controlling the madnes which is EGLL tower a lot and Tbh I will do a 3H session and be like hmm I think I’ll have a flight to wind down as controlling especially at busy airports stresses you out

3 Likes

I am usually very chilled when controling, the only time I get discourraged is when people do stuff they shouldn´t and I have to decide weither I ghost them or not… I don´t like ghostin in general but sometimes it´s the only way…

4 Likes

I have 350 hours flown and 1110 operations controlling on training server. But I’ve been for 2 weeks controlling more than flying and I’m starting to like it. I think I will end up just controlling, the reason? I don’t know it yet, but I have more fun controlling than flying long hauls just watching the same thing during 8 hours… I’m open to replies

3 Likes

I’m to young to be IFATC therefore training server is my ATC ground and my god the amount of ghosts that would be on there would turn EGLL to a 3 aircraft a day thing

2 Likes

Glad you asked: I rapidly became into a controller who rarely flies nowadays, let’s be quite honest here 😊

This happened as soon as I joined the IFATC team. Nowadays, I see my ATC ops count going up wayyy faster than my flying hours. Sometimes I do find flying more enjoyable than controlling, but when an airport gets real busy, I gain the excitement from the strategic-thinking, route-planning, and fast-paced environment being ATC. Of course, it’s not a thing for everybody but I enjoyed it. More importantly, I earn the satisfaction of helping pilots gain the most enjoyable experience of flying in IF—this alone beats all other points.

9 Likes

I always control, the only time I fly is when I am low on landings and I need to get them up to maintain grade. Expert server controlling you will have 100% more professionalism.

2 Likes

Too young for IFATC, only 12

I agree with the other IFATC that have responded. Ever since I’ve joined IFATC I’ve been controlling more than flying. I find controlling more entertaining than flying. When flying you can discover different parts of the world but, it’s always fun controlling different airports and different layouts.

2 Likes

I haven’t ventured into controlling yet, there is still so many routes and airlines I’d like to fly and experience. I do plan on getting into controlling though, I imagine working a busy tower with lots of inbounds and outbounds would be an amazing time.

2 Likes

When I first began controlling for IFATC, I went about a month and a half without flying. It’s more time consuming, but a lot more rewarding (if you get traffic, that is)

3 Likes

Since I’ve managed to make it into controlling on expert, I rarely fly my own routes. I’m part of Plane & Pilot events who make a load of events like… Literally all the time so I get quite a bit done with them. I also recently joined BAVA and GAF so I’m hoping to get some more flying done.

I guess I started finding flying from A to B a little boring, so I love events with interesting and unique airports/approaches.

But I’d say I enjoy controlling a little bit more than flying, just my personal view :)

6 Likes

I think I have been quite lucky from what I’ve read here in the forums, but it’s a credit to the people putting in the time and effort - so thanks to those who do so on the Training server 👍🏻

1 Like

I think that that IFATC @Flying_Pencil came pretty close since the goal on TS is mainly to survive !

1 Like

I fly and control Tower/ground and approach. It’s good to mix things up and you need to fly the approach before you actually control, that way there’s no surprises and it helps with your planning.

1 Like

Real world aviation

If you’re suggesting that this should be put into #real-world-aviation, you’re wrong. This is IF, not the real world.

1 Like

I’ll echo every other IFATC that responded - I control more than I fly. I find controlling offers more of a challenge than flying does nowadays, and also it’s easier to work into a busy schedule. For me, flying involves about 30 minutes of practice, then another about 30 minutes to get from the gate to cruise, and then another 30 minutes to descend and get to the gate at the end. Controlling for an hour then getting on with my day is a lot easier and more interesting.

5 Likes