Is there really a 250 kt limit below 10,000 feet?

When I’m operating as Tower or Approach, a lot of pilots would come in too fast, above 250 kt while they are below 10,000 feet. They’re not supposed to do that, so sometimes I tell them “Maintain slowest possible speed” since Tower cannot specify the exact speed.

On the other hand, when I watch planes in the real-world landing sequence on Flightradar24, I noticed that a lot of them are doing 260-290 kt on approach and sometimes even 320-340 kt on departure, all well below 10,000 feet. That’s at VHHK.

So is there really a strict speed limit in the real world and is it enforced?

1 Like

Hi
Flightradar24 will show Ground Speed, the limit is on Airspeed.

What he’s referring to is the game. Does the ATC see airspeed or ground speed…?

Ground Speed. The ATC IN IF sees ground speed.

1 Like

halayuya! I finally found out ha ha.

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_91-117.html

Yes but in real life if the controller gives you permission to a break that rule then you could go about 250kts under 10,000 feet (this command isn’t in infinite flight).

Yes there is a speed limit. I read that ACT may allow you to speed in certain circumstances such as when you’re flying over an unpopulated area.

1 Like

There is a speed limit of 250kts below 10,000ft. This is largely due to the high amount of birds and planes below 10,000ft. The speed limit servers as a way to increase reaction time if you do see a bird or plane so that you can avoid it. The limit is not necessarily about the population it is more about avoiding collisions. This speed limit is enforced at least at my airport.

1 Like

To see and avoid a bird at 250kt IAS? Haha :D

3 Likes

Haha, well it’s more for avoiding planes because if one was flying faster than 250kts you wouldn’t have much time to avoid them!

2 Likes

But I think you can get approval from atc to keep a high speed approach is descending or to just fly at a higher speed.

2 Likes

You can for special events. For example for a military flyover the jets are allowed to fly up to 300kts

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Maintain 250 kts.

1 Like

How does it not hold at 250? And you don’t get a violation until 260.

1 Like

Well if it’s gusting then your going to have to slow down and state unable to the speed request.

1 Like

Well, guys let’s face the problem:

ATC tells you to maintain 250 knots. IF does not give you violations if your speed is below 260 knots below 10000 feet, gusts can make your speed go high, but then the gusts slow down and you return to normal speed again, so really no problem.