Is there a speed limit at or above 40,000ft

just depends on how much realism you’re going for. If you want to bump it up to .90, you’re on a simulator, go for it. If you want to simulate something similar to real world ops, go with .85-.86

1 Like

What kind of issue?

Just stalled and crashed the plane

Did you perhaps fly too high to early into your flight?

1 Like

Heavier flights require step climb. Fly a heavy aircraft for a short route and that is not a issue but for a longer routes where you have more fuel (also PAX and Cargo too maybe) you’ll need to step climb and not go up to FL370 right away.

Here’s a guide to step climb, just throwing it in here :)

1 Like

The issue was I accidentally dissabled the altitude on the AP and started a dive which disabled it completely. Tried to recover the plane but ended up stalling it and crashing it.:)

Oh in that case, be more careful next time so you don’t mistakenly press on something vital as the AP while cruising, descending or climbing out :)

I was about an hour into my flight and was at my cruising altitude

Ok thanks for the help though :)

1 Like

You Are Very Welcome :)

Yes I should fly at m0.85 on the 747-400 during cruise and also as a side answer should fly at lower altitudes during flights

Flight level has nothing to do with it, other than the physics of how altitude affects airspeed.

The FL400 rule to which you refer was based on ground speed, not airspeed, and was only in place due to the relatively small sizes of the old regions. It is no longer in effect. (So thankfully, everyone doesn’t climb to FL400 from KSAN-KLAX anymore, though they still fly over twice the altitude of a normal flight between these two.)

1 Like

Ok thanks for the info

If the flight it a long haul and you’re heavy, above MLW or close to it then it is realistically speaking correct to begin to fly at a lower altitude and then step climb throuout the flight. Also do fly the 747-400 at Mach .85-86

Ok for a little bit I was flying it at m0.50

When flying past 28000ft you know that then the airspeed translates into Mach speed, so at 28000ft and up you should be at around Mach .85 and once you’ve reached your cruising ALT then you must be at M .85 or else you will be stalling, resulting in violations.

Yes I usually fly at 247kts below 10,000ft and above 10,000ft to 28,000ft I increase my speed to 347 that is my typical cruising speed

I never thought to check until last night while flying from KSLC to KJFK, but a quick Google search gives you each plane’s specs, including recommended cruise speed and maximum cruise speed. Go past the red dots on the speed indicator, and you’ll receive violations after about 20 seconds.

Although you won’t get violations for this, it’s also good practice to cruise at the correct altitude. Fly odd when heading east (35,000 ft, 37,000 ft, etc) and even when heading west (36,000 ft, 38,000 ft).

WWhat about north and south?

For these purposes 360-179 magnetic heading is east, 180-359 is west. Just those two subsets.

1 Like