Is the iPad mini 4 getting old?

Hi there!
I have know had the iPad mini 4 (2gb ram) for a long time, nearly 6 years. I have used it at high graphics etc since. However, after this update I put everything on low as I am scared that it will crash. I am not sure how much to trust my device. The “low” settings are horrible. One of the reasons I am playing IF is because of the graphics and textures of airports / planes, however I don’t want to dismiss this feature because of my fear. Shall I trust my device? Is it getting old? When will I need a new device?

1 Like

Yes unfortunately it is becoming old

4 Likes

You might as well try the new update with the graphics up. If it crashes then you will know it cannot handle it. :)

1 Like

Thanks guys

My iPad Air 2 is old too, but it can manage high graphic settings and anti-aliasing; I just have to limit frame rates. I believe the iPad Mini 4 is a capable device, just don’t expect a smooth experience at all time as the Mini 4 isn’t the latest device.

1 Like

Sure, thanks, what does anti-aliasing exactly do? Just wondering?

1 Like

It smooths edges on a 3d model. So with aliasing on, an engine cowling would look “more round”, or a wing will have smoother edges.

1 Like

My settings on the iPad mini 4 are medium. Anti-aliasing is on, but so is “limit frame rate”. Depending on traffic levels (especially when arriving at my destination), I will adjust my airplane count to very high (if there’s like 2 planes) or low (if there’s 7 or more planes).

I also restart the iPad before every flight, and since it’s old, the device is pretty much only used for IF. The iPad mini 4 is still ok for now the graphics settings I have for it make it work ok, but I am thinking about upgrading “soon”;)

It only really gets laggy if you fly any aircraft with live cockpit, and that’s just something you’ll have to deal with.

1 Like

If you’re scared about it crashing, just test it out one day. Go into a flight expecting it to crash. Start with all your settings up, and gradually reduce them one by one until you can complete a flight between two moderately busy airports without it crashing. In terms of turning down settings, I like to start with the aircraft count personally, but start with whatever you think you’ll notice the least.

1 Like

Well, I use one and it works just fine for me. An upgrade would be nice but this does for now

1 Like

I keep my setting on high on my Mini 4 and it works perfectly! Slowed down a bit after 20.1 but only in the busy airspace’s and I think it may be because there were so many people there

1 Like

It can even handle this (20+ planes on atc):

1 Like

I’ve been using my iPad Air 2 for about 4-5 years now. Though a bit laggy, it’s still great to fly with!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.