Is the 748 capable of a long haul?

Hi. Im back again. I was wondering, with the small recent “rework” of the 747-8, is it capable of doing a 13-16 hour flight? I know it has fuel consumption issues but I just need some answers cause I really wanna fly the 747-8 a long way.

2 Likes

It can but at a low altitude of 28,000 (my suggestion alt) but it will be hard :)

1 Like

Absolutely, however you will need to fly at lower altitudes depending on your fuel levels

1 Like

Well IRL it can easy. But in typical IF fashion, everything about the plane is broken. So I doubt you’d get any more than 13h.

1 Like

I am unsure of whether or not the physics issues relating to the 747 family were fixed. However with high amounts of trim (50-60%) it certainly helps with those kinds of problems, making it very much possible to fly above FL300 and hold on for long distances.

2 Likes

Frankfurt to Buenos Aires (Lufthansa’s longest route) is possible in the B748. It’s 14:30hrs long

1 Like

When I do a long haul flight with the B748 I normally fly at FL340

2 Likes

Yes it is! I have flown NZAA (Auckland) to RKSI (Seoul) at FL360 with little to no issues

The way you can do this is cruise at m.84 with flap 10 extended (I know, realism is out the window on this one). This keeps the 748 more level during cruise, and therefore more stable.

I used almost the exact fuel I expected, only put 2 hours extra, but didn’t end up using it

1 Like

When I use about 60% trim I have no issue flying the 747s at their realistic altitudes and no extra fuel. The aircraft burns fuel and become tons lighter throughout the flight so generally if you’re a few hours short info the flight with what Simbrief gives you, you should be perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Have any data you want to back that claim up with? I, and others, have used Simbrief data with a range and burn that is pretty darn close. There is always room for improvement but I wouldn’t pass the blame if it’s user error. We’d love to help you fly it correctly to achieve the same results if needed.

5 Likes

Most definitely, yes. If you’d like to fly higher altitudes, I suggest fueling up your aircraft to its maximum level (given its surprisingly high fuel consumption rate), and climb slowly with a vertical speed of 400-700 after levelling of at FL140/FL150, depending on the direction of flight.

1 Like

Of course it can! Personally I would recommend taking maximum fuel. Start at a lower altitude for example FL320… plan and execute some step climbs. Remember high the altitude, the less fuel burn.

Safe flight Capt

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.