Is Runway 15 for inbound traffic and R33 for outbound?

Hi there, I was on approach to KASE 15 when the approach left. And I was instructed to enter right downwind of R33 which I thought wasn’t used for landings because of the height of the mountains. And R15 is ILS which makes a whole lot easier. Can it be used for landings?

5 Likes

In real life, Runway 15 is used for landings and runway 33 is used for takeoffs

3 Likes

thats what inbound means and outbound ;P

5 Likes

I am aware

3 Likes

Happy 1 year!!

4 Likes

Happy anniversary!

5 Likes

Thanks lads @Josh_Mcmunn @ogilbey

2 Likes

No problem. Here’s to another year of you on the Forums

2 Likes

The controller probably isn’t aware of the real world operations used at the airport. Like others said, 15 is solely for landings while 33 is only used for takeoffs.

4 Likes

He was aware, but with out an approach control that airport is impossible to operate. So adjustments are made so there aren’t 2 miles of departures waiting.

Also, I was the approach controller. KASE is very difficult when it comes to the inbounds and outbounds. When you fly this region to that airport, take the instructions you are given and do not constantly try and remind us you are there.

Vectors in the area are some of the longest due to its unique challenge. We don’t ever purposefully delay you guys getting were you want to go. Also, that airport RARELY will accept planes that aren’t vectored for the ILS or GPS 15 when there is an approach controller.

So thinking you will just jump the line is a fast way to get ghosted if you’re not following instructions.

This is not just for the OP, all pilots flying today did well with the vectors minus a select few… hopefully they will read this and comply next time.

6 Likes

That’s completely understandable. That is why I said “he probably isn’t aware.” :)

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry about that :)

1 Like

God hearing an actual controller say this airport was a challenge on approach makes me feel 100 times better. I have a love hate relationship with ASE.

5 Likes

take a look at your map next time, see which direction you are pointed in and what AC look like over there. also, depending on your speed and altitude you may get a longer/shorter vector depending.

If you’re pointed in an area where there are other planes and or looks like planes headed in that direction we havent forgotten about you. Now if you see that youve wound up 30-40 miles past or away from the airport, hit us up… with as many planes that call up, i point everyone to the same spot. this way everyone comes across my screen again after ive scrolled back in from answering someone that called 50-60 miles away.

sorry got distracted and hit save, but anyways, yes, my main point is take a look at your map… we have a plan… may not be what youre exactly wanting but its what will be the most efficient at the time you call…

just some more tips to help us all

3 Likes

i think everyone does… its an airport in theory that should be extremely fun to work, which it is while slowish, but as soon as it picks up, it becomes a chore

3 Likes

I love it. It hurts so good.

4 Likes

Nice work, also, happy 1 Year Anniversy lel

2 Likes