Is jet engine thrust linear?

Title says it all. If you have an engine that makes 100KG of power at 100%, will it make 50KG at 50% or is it a curve so it would be more like 30KG @ 50%.

Is there a specific equation to calculate thrust at a certain percentage?
Thanks in advance, I haven’t been able to find a clear concise answer for this anywhere else

5 Likes

Nevermind I get it know. I’m not sure though… We did linear equations last year in algebra but I don’t remember that part

I’d be interested to find out too, good question. (Info @DeerCrusher, @RAH)

4 Likes

_I would think it is more curved although I do not know. With high bypass most of your thrust is bypassing your core so that’s where I think it becomes tricky to simply say it is linear.

Edit: earlier version said linear. Was in a meeting and mistakenly wrote linear thinking I wrote curved.

1 Like

I’m going with No no engine that I know of builds power in that way they all have a power curve of some type. Due to several different things. Here is something I found about the power curve of a jet turbine. Should be helpful.

3 Likes

I have read that in cruise, jet engines are more efficient at higher n1. I don’t know if that has to do with the engine making a disproportionate amount of power, or that higher n1’s usually means higher altitude.

1 Like

Hey John, I thought it was a curve and just to be sure I checked it with the CMF56 engine. When you google “engine thrust versus n1” you can find plenty of examples and also the curve of the CMF56. I hope this answers your question. Cheers!

2 Likes

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/thrsteq.html

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.