Is it safe to charge while doing an overnighter?

So I’m doing an overnighter right now that’s about 12 hours. Around 20 minutes into the flight my charger starts getting hot. I turned brightness down and whatnot and that should help, but I’m just wondering, is it actually safe to leave your charger charging overnight? Like won’t it catch on fire or something?

3 Likes

Hey mate,

Hope you’re going well. I always charge my device whilst doing an overnight flight without any issues, but I recommend as well as turning down the brightness (like you’ve already mentioned), lowering your airplane count and graphic settings whilst at cruise could also assist.

Take care mate!

7 Likes

I mean, I have dozens of times and nothing bad happened. It didn’t explode, so it seems safe

3 Likes

If your charger is getting hot. It’s ok. Mobile device chargers have to do a standard warming up when you plug your device in. It’s safe to leave your charger charging your device overnight. Like Declan said, it’s a smart idea to do those steps.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I’ll be sure to try that :)

1 Like

Okay that’s good then! And yeah, I’ll be sure to try those steps! Thanks :)

1 Like

Just one note, if your charger has any damage, like you can see cables inside it you should get a new one to be secured

1 Like

For me, the most important thing for a night flight is to turn on the low power mode, because the low FPS is what really helps to not overheat the device

3 Likes

Did a quick read of some Quora answers for the subject “Is it safe for the charger to get hot while charging a cell phone?”

Quite a few electrical or electronic engineering types. The overall message seemed to be that it is possible to have a hazard if you have purchased a cheap second market charger.

If the power output of the new charger is underrated it could lead to a fire hazard. Also cheap plastics risk possibly melting below the max rated safety temperature.

A EE claimed the standards rating in the US is for maximum temperature rise to be limited to 50C above the surrounding temperature, for plastic chargers. So if your room temperature is 25C/77F, that’s 75C/167F, which is quite hot. Best to by brand name chargers from reputable suppliers. Cheap plastics could melt if approaching such temperatures.

It was stated chargers are about 90% efficient, which means 10% of the energy has to end up as heat. The heat has to go somewhere. Quite warm to the touch is not unexpected. If it’s very uncomfortable to touch, there could be a risk.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Yes thank you! I saw that when I googled it, although what charger is considered bad? That’s what I don’t get.

Hi Lee! I haven’t done an overnight flight in a while but when I do my device and charger seems perfectly fine but remember to lower brightness and turn down the airplane count

1 Like

Hello there! And yes, I’ve done that during the flight I’m currently doing, the charger is still warm, but colder than yesterday :)

I always charge while doing any type of flight. You should be fine. Just remember to enable automatic low power during long hauls. It saves battery life.

1 Like

If the charger gets warm it’s OK I think it’s it’s when the device gets really hot that’s when the problem occurs but I could be wrong

1 Like

For long flights, I turn on the low picture quality and turn on the low power mode. I think very useful as my phone is not hot

2 Likes

I’ve been doing that since I started playing IF. I’ve only had one issue and that was due to my old phone case had basically no ventilation so my phone over heated. But I upgraded to an iPad and I haven’t had any issues since then.

Yes the device gets quite warm but it should cool down when u land.

1 Like

When googling what makes a bad charger there is so much info (noise) to filter through. It seems there is always at least some small potential risk with all devices. To keep the risk minimized, branded charges made by the manufacturer that are in good condition with undamaged cables seems like the best answer.

And the power saving recommendations of others I also use. But I always keep my phone plugged in during long flights as well.

In terms of odds and some preventative recommendations, the London Fire Brigade website states 24 fires are attended to each week due to chargers, batteries and cables. That’s for a city of 9 million people. It seems like odds are low, especially if you just keep your charger in good condition. The link, including safety tips for charging devices, and risk of counterfeit chargers: https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/the-home/electrical-items/batteries-and-chargers/

1 Like

My phone heats up a lot while I fly, but gladly I have the fan that cools my phone in 5 seconds

1 Like

After nearly 1 and half years of doing night hauls, my phone is still alive and there is no decline in battery performance, so it’s safe. Just keep the device in a cool place.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you so much :)

1 Like