Is correct or no?

Hello everyone I wanted a clarification, today I flew in adv to aspen and noticed that the controller was taking off from runway 33 and was landing to runway 15, it is correct to do so? or you always use the same way in and out?

1 Like

Yes that is the correct procedure.

It should be like that, because it’s Aspen.

33 has steep mountains in the way, so landing must happen from 15. Takeoffs cannot happen from 15 because if they did you would crash into the mountains. It’s like at Lukla, how different ends are used.

1 Like

Ok Thank you, because is the first time that happened this,generally all atc use the same runway and i was i bit confuse.

1 Like

And when that procedure is in use, you are not supposed to depart straight out, you actually make a left turn in order not to interfere with approaching aircraft.

2 Likes

It’s quite tricky to manage, because Aspen is very popular on Live. There is generally so much traffic when ATC is open that they absolutely have to use 15 for all movements.

2 Likes

Thank you guys i learn a new thing today.

2 Likes

This is a really life procedure as well! The approach controllers at KASE are specially trained because of mountains! Yes when you request takeoff you must turn right or left to not interfere with invoking aircraft! :) glad you learned something new!

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

This explains why when I was landing into Aspen one flight an A330 ( Don’t even know why one was there) took off and went dangerously close to me.

I don’t usually follow this as we don’t have a command like this in IF. Turn right heading 010, climb to FL XXX.

Using this creates more confusions and complex commands (when you are doing a patterns especially!)

2 Likes

I agree with you!was a bit confused…

Max Sez. IF Controllers often improvise. The correct arrival & departure procedures for that station are contained in the FLIP’s (Arrival & Departure Plates). If FDS implements ATIS finally the confusions upon arrival will be reduced significantly. In general prevailing wind direction & speeds dictates the “Active Runway”. Plates for most most aerodromes can be found at AirNav.com.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.