Is cessna or any single engine plane danger

I think single engined planes are dangerous because what happens if the engine does not work for any reason. I really want to learn at a aviation academy but thinking of this terrifies me. What do you Guys think.

There’s many pilots on this forum, lots have their private license or are taking lessons, however, that’s why you do checks and take training, single engine aircraft are reliable as long as you take care of them, and remember training, if you follow procedures, and maintain proper care of said aircraft, the event of an engine fail, is extremely low. I am sure some real world pilots will chime in, and i hope they do, but it’s nothing in my opinion to be afraid of. It’s like a car, if you take care of it properly it’ll last a million miles with some repairs here and there.

5 Likes

But if the engine stopped mid air there is nothing to do.

As a C152 pilot in training and currently learning emergency situations, I can say, if you know what to do and act quickly you can definitely manage to land the aircraft.

For example in the C152, if the engine fails, you immediately find a suitable landing place and maintain 65kts as soon as possible. It’s all about knowing the procedures and being confident about it.

Maintaining a glide speed allows you to not stall

7 Likes

Follow procedures, glide the airplane to safe landing area. Recently someone did that in Quebec Canada. Landed on a major highway. Yes there’s risks to anything in life, there’s really pros and cons, if you’re passionate about something, you focus on how to extract as much as you can from the pros, and in turn, in a con happened, you would know what to do.
Besides money of course.

2 Likes

Thanks guy you helped me alot

3 Likes

Well they are usually quite light, so you would be able to glide down is my guess

My advice.

First learn the safety procedures and all that.

Once you’ve mastered it, you don’t need to worry about the dangers as there are extremely low.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with everything that has been said. Even in that one in a million chance the engine does fail, as long as you remember you’re training, you’ll be fine - and your plane won’t even be too badly damaged and both you and your flying car will both fly again! Like said above, you just have to take care of it, follow correct procedures and guidelines, and you’ll be fine! Good luck if you do decide to go for your training!

I have flown a 1965 Cessna 172 Skyhawk up in crivitz, Wisconsin (middle of nowhere) multiple times. While the plane itself passes all airworthiness certifications, I was more worried about the PIC having some sort of medical emergency than the planet crashing. There’s really not much that can go wrong with small GA planes. All of them are mass produced, and if they weren’t reliable, there wouldn’t be many of them in the skies as people wouldn’t want to buy them. I think you’ll be 100% safe, especially with a flight school-owned plane. They especially take care of their planes because if something were to go wrong, that would put a terrible reputation on not only the manufacturer, but also the flight school.

3 Likes

Yes thats correct!

1 Like

But I will have my training Either Egypt, saudi, or maybe U.A.E and three of these countries get severe sand storms that come surprisingly and they are hardly predicted and the visibility turns to 0 in a second does not that affect??

1 Like

And by sandstorms I think without an ils it would be a problem what do you think?

Single engine aircraft are not dangerous providing they are looked after and maintained well. They are like cars, if you treat them well & look after them they’ll fly for ages without any issues. I fly a Piper PA28 that was made in the late 60s and personally I’ve only ever had 1 thing go wrong. If something serious was to happen, which is very unlikely, we get trained on how to best deal with the situation, for example in the aircraft I fly I’m trained to pitch for best glide speed (80knots) & look for a place to land if the engine was to fail. You’d be trained for it as well, it’s extremely unlikely anything like that would happen but if it did you’d be able to deal with it well, and calmly make the decision needed. GA aircraft generally have a slightly worse rep than commercial aircraft when in actuality as long as they are treated well they’ll fly for miles. :) don’t let flying a single engine aircraft put you off your dream!

2 Likes

Regarding the sandstorms, for the first few weeks of training will be with an instructor who is IFR certified and knows how to deal with sandstorms. If a sandstorm in coming soon they will cancel the flight

1 Like

@Omar_Osman, the worst thing you can do is be nervous or scared. Just try to relax a little, training includes lots of emergency procedures. Anyway, emergencies are super rare, and besides, it’s not like the engine would stop anyway, the plane would warn you and you would stay calm and complete an emergency landing. Hope this helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.