Is Boeing field in seattle A Boeing factory?

So I just saw a post on Instagram With Boeing Field Airport in Seattle and In parking we’re some 737s that we’re asian Carriers Like angola Korean and some Chinese liveries also some KC-10’s wanted to ask if this a factory ? A Boeing factory where they build Boeing planes? Of course I did some research for my self but couldn’t find anything about it being a factory but still just wanna get some answers I mean the name of the airport was king county international airport can 737s reach that far? Orrrrr am I just being dumb now or is this a factory for Boeing?image

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken they build the 737 is Renton, and fly them there to be painted.

(One moment while I find a source for that)

2 Likes

Ohhhh really? That’s pretty cool they paint Military planes there as well?

It’s a public airport owned by King County. Boeing uses it for test flights and delivery of its aircraft.

3 Likes

Oh so they take off from that airport and like say head to China for plane delivery like that China eastern plane?

According to Wikipedia it has final assembly stuff, and a paint hanger, some specialized 737s are entirely built there as well. Most of this is a hangover from the 60s when the 737 was entirely made there since Renton was tied up with the 70, then the 72.

3 Likes

Yes planes are flown all around the world, it requires a lot of stops though in some cases. You can see them happening on Flightradar24, you will know as it will show a domestic Middle Eastern carrier for example flying across the Atlantic

1 Like

Boeing Field is an airport that Boeing uses to paint it’s 737 fleet. It is not owned by Boeing but Boeing has a strong presence on the field. It is a public airport and anyone can use the airport. Boeing makes there 737s in Renton, Washington and then ferries them over to get paint/finished. Now, Boeing makes all of there widebody, 767-787 at Paine Field which is north of Seattle

2 Likes

Renton and Kings County (Boeing field) is home to the Boeing factory for 737 and their military division, that’s where they typically do final testing for those. Everett is home to the 747 , 777 and 787 factory

1 Like

To add on to previous answers, Boeing field is not a Boeing factory. They keep a bunch of planes there (mostly 737s and I think military, those are the KC-46s you see) while preparing them for delivery.

The 737s are assembled at Renton KRNT, a couple miles southeast. Heavies (74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 777X) are assembled north of Seattle at Everett field KPAE.

1 Like

They deliver from BFI, make aircraft in Renton, Everett, and Charleston, North Carolina.

1 Like

Officially, the Boeing 747, 767, 777 and 787 is made at the Boeing factory in Seattle while the Boeing 737s are made further slightly South in Renton, Seattle.

1 Like

Not true at all they’re made about an hour north of Seattle

1 Like

Thank you so much for the answers 😱😱😱😀😀😀😀😀😀 I was just curious thanks guys! But that’s pretty cool!

1 Like

Ok sorry, they are about 30 minutes North of the city of Seattle.

If you’re ever in Seattle message me. I live down here and I’m always there Kings County it’s a fun airport hang out at.

1 Like

I’ve only ever Been to the USA only, never in Seattle many years ago and I live in Sydney, Australia so I won’t be coming anytime soon sorry.

Do they ever do tours there or at the Renton factory? I heard there was a Boeing museum somewhere.

So one question:

If BFI is a public airport in King County, why is it named after Boeing

Yes in Renton, Everett (that’s the famous one). Boeing Musuem is at the Kings County airport which I totally recommend going it’s probably the beat museum I’ve ever been too, besides the Smithsonian

1 Like