Is Automation Really Safer for Flying?

I was reading the paper this morning and saw this title: Automation helps makes flying safer than ever. Do you Agree? I think a computer can’t be like a pilot.

Article

• Yes it does make it safer
  • No it doesn’t make it safer

0 voters

1 Like

I agree, there are still incidents that happen, however right now with all the new innovations, flying is the safest it’s ever been.

9 Likes

Flying and air travel will never be the same if they decide to take the pilots out of the cockpit.

11 Likes

Yes I agree

Automation can’t think like a pilot can. It cannot react to situations like a pilot csn

5 Likes

points to Cactus 1549

7 Likes

Sully Evan said that he “eyeballed it”

2 Likes

Automation can make pilots lazy. I hate to say that but its somewhat true. Theres a reason why pilots are required by federal law to undergo recurrent training biannually.

1 Like

I agree with this statement due to the fact that most aviation related disasters are from a result of pilot error rather than any kind of automation issue.

2 Likes

That was with the help of the computers

in the far future maybe but not in near future

Lets just say it this way, if Automation would have been there instead of a pilot on let´s say, US1549, they wouldn´t have made it. Real persons can make different decision based on what they think is the best, were the computer does what it´s being told.

1 Like

Again, it was with the help of the computers. He himself (and the NTSB) said that he wouldn’t have made it if it weren’t for the fact that he turned on the APU, allowing the computers to operate.

2 Likes

The computer would have followed this list, and that woukd have been bad.

1 Like

But if the computer controlled the plane, the story would have been completely different.

5 Likes

One broken sensor and a plane can be sent to the ground. One broken sensor and your self-driving car can be sent into the shoulder. One broken sensor and the automated bus you’re riding on can smash into a semi. One broken sensor and the Docklands Light Railway in London could skip your stop. One broken sensor and bad things can happen.

2 Likes

Because of automation the pilots get lazy it’s a paradox
More automation less pilot skill corrected by automation and so on

1 Like

That depends on many variables and or presented conditions as well…

3 Likes

You’re ignoring the presence of backup sensors and or failsafe modes.

3 Likes

With AI, computers can think better than pilots can. I am involved with training Artificial Intelligence programs to think for themselves. In multiple situations, the computer achieved a higher score (consisting of alertness, problem solving and adapting) than humans. Not only that, the computers scored higher and higher each time, whereas humans had a steeper learning curve.

3 Likes